Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre 360 13 ac0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hard drive went undetected suddenly, and after running tests, I was advised to replace the hard drive. I did that this afternoon and received a message to install an operating system. I went to F10 to access Bios, and enabled Enabled Legacy support, saved changes, and exited.  I then typed in a code provided and hit Enter.

The machine rebooted to a black screen with the message 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device'.  I  tried Ctrl-Alt-Dlt, but eventually came back to the same message. I hard powered down, waited 15 seconds, and powered on, holding the power button for 5 seconds. Same result. I tried to get to Bios settings again by pressing F10 (fn- F10), but pressing any key gives me the same message. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you reinstall W10?

Hard drives do not come with operating systems installed.

You have to create W10 installation media on a USB flash drive, boot from the installation media and install W10 on the drive.

Your PC appears to be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

You will need to use another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer, and have a 32 GB USB flash drive in order to create the recovery drive.

Have the flash drive in a USB port.

Turn on or restart the PC.  Press/Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB flash drive with W10 on it and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the flash drive, and W10 should begin to install.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you reinstall W10?

Hard drives do not come with operating systems installed.

You have to create W10 installation media on a USB flash drive, boot from the installation media and install W10 on the drive.

Your PC appears to be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

You will need to use another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer, and have a 32 GB USB flash drive in order to create the recovery drive.

Have the flash drive in a USB port.

Turn on or restart the PC.  Press/Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB flash drive with W10 on it and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the flash drive, and W10 should begin to install.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.