Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 17 2090 el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning,

i have an HP envy17 2090el. 

i have bought it different years ago and it had window 7 as operating system. Then i updated the operationg sistem to Window 10.

Today my laptop is not able to load window 10 . if i press "esc" while window 10 is trying to load the HP recovery manager starts.

Will the recovery manager recover window 10 or it will recover window 7?

thank you

Alberto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The media creation tool will download the ISO file to your PC's hard drive.

Then you use this tool to transfer the file to your USB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Alberto:

If the recovery manager works, it will install W7.

If you previously had upgraded to W10 and it was successfully activated, you can go right back to W10 by using the Media creation tool at the link below and clean install W10.

When you get to the window during the installation process where you are asked to input a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically reactivate once you are connected to the internet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul,

W10 is asciated with my Hp laptop, therefore i shoul be fine.

will i have to backup my files before recovering w10? or is there a way to maintain them ?

ty

Alberto

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Alberto.

You should back up any files you don't want to lose, because doing a clean install you will have to reinstall your files and programs.

Now, you don't have to format the hard drive.  You can let windows install over the current installation, and it will create a windows.old folder.

Once W10 is reinstalled, you can explore the Windows.old folder, and in your user directory, you can copy and paste the files and folders in that directory to the new installation.

But I would still back them up anyway.

Once you are sure you have everything you want from the windows.old folder, you can delete it by using the disk cleanup utility.

Run it and when it comes to the disk cleanup window, click on the cleanup system files button and it will run again and then you can check the boxes to delete the files including the windows.old folder.

HP Recommended

ty Paul,

i just noticed that media creation cannot find my USB  flash drive (while i can see it in my laptop). I have 3 usb flash drives  (4 gb each) and none of them can be fond by media creation

HP Recommended

Hi:

The media creation tool will download the ISO file to your PC's hard drive.

Then you use this tool to transfer the file to your USB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.