Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy dv6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi....

I want to install a new operating system (linux) on my laptop and I havent made the recovery disk yet,

after installing new operating system , can I do the recovery by the default recovery drive on my hdd without having the disks?

in case I  make the recovery disk , do I lose the the ability to recover from My hard drive recovery drive ? (Because my hdd drive is much safer than the Disks in case of protection)

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kooshan wrote:

Hi....

I want to install a new operating system (linux) on my laptop and I havent made the recovery disk yet,

after installing new operating system , can I do the recovery by the default recovery drive on my hdd without having the disks?

in case I  make the recovery disk , do I lose the the ability to recover from My hard drive recovery drive ? (Because my hdd drive is much safer than the Disks in case of protection)

thanks.

Create a usb recovery flashdrive before you make any changes!  Do not create a recovery disk set!

A Recovery disk set is quite fragile and can be destroyed with a single scratch on the disk label. A usb recovery flashdrive is, unlike a recovery DVD, quite durable.

If you install Linux on the hard disk it will change the bootloader if you are not careful and no longer allow you to boot to Windows. 

Making a usb recovery flashdrive will not remove the ability to use F11 unless you make any changes to the 😧 Recovery partition. That is where the Recovery Manager boots from when you use F11.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Kooshan wrote:

Hi....

thanks.

Create a usb recovery flashdrive before you make any changes!  Do not create a recovery disk set!

A Recovery disk set is quite fragile and can be destroyed with a single scratch on the disk label. A usb recovery flashdrive is, unlike a recovery DVD, quite durable.

If you install Linux on the hard disk it will change the bootloader if you are not careful and no longer allow you to boot to Windows. 

Making a usb recovery flashdrive will not remove the ability to use F11 unless you make any changes to the 😧 Recovery partition. That is where the Recovery Manager boots from when you use F11.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

when I want to make a recovery flash drive by  hp recovery manager it starts to loop and freezes

and when I want to make recovery disk it says : we are experiencing errors i recovery media creation . please try again.

what is the solution ?

thanks again.

HP Recommended

When you put the usb flash drive in a port with the HP Media Creation utility started, is it recognized by the utility as being present?

Which brand of DVD and type are you using?

HP Recommended

actually it is external 1 TB usb hard drive.... the DVD-R brand is datawrite and is completely trusted.do I have to use specific Brand for Dvd ?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.