Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-x114dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop in 2017 so it is out of warranty.

I found the need to do a recovery of the system to original factory settings. I have done this before on other laptops so I know how it works.

The recovery got about 3/4 of the way through the task and the this screen came up.

cap.jpg

The options at the bottom won't let me do anything except "Retry" and it keeps coming up the same.

Is there anything I can do to save this computer. I do have a USB drive with the recovery on it but I can't get it to boot.

Thanks

Frank

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@afbille 

In all reality, no.

The reset most likely failed because of a failing drive -- which is unusual for a 3-year old PC, but not impossible.

Also, to do anything else, like reformat the drive or do a reset from external media, you have to be able to boot from USB stick, and since you can't do that, you are stuck.

If your plan was to reset this to sell it, then you should simply remove the drive and mention that in the description.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

What would be the procedure to try and boot from the USB stick?

HP Recommended

@afbille 

You already said  you have a USB stick but can't get it to boot.

When you reboot your PC, have the USB stick inserted and press F9 repeatedly to get the Boot Devices menu.  If the USB stick does not show up their, your PC is not seeing it.

Then you need to back into the BIOS settings and find and disable Secure Boot.  You also need to look for a setting that Disables booting from portable devices and disable that. 

Then reboot pressing F9 again.  If you still can not see the USB stick, then your PC simply can't boot from USB.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.