Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

I'm a proud owner of a used HP Spectre 13-v101ng.

It came with a Win10 Home edition - but no key for it in the documents. So I asked the seller, if I could get the key in case I have to set it up new again.

The answer was, that there's no key needed, because the key is stored in the Bios and I can reinstall windows with it.

What's that for a new procedure ?
I know Windows from the very first steps and there was always a key needed..

Thanks for an explanation

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

When W8 came out, Microsoft starting putting the OEM product keys in the BIOS to prevent the OEM keys on the older product key labels from being used on different PC's. 

That is a violation of the OEM software terms, but no doubt thousands of folks used the XP, Vista and W7 OEM product keys from a label on one PC, for another.

With the product key being in the BIOS, it is impossible to use that key on another PC.

So...yes...since 2012 you don't need a product key to reinstall Windows if the PC came with Windows 8 or newer from the PC manufacturer (HP, Dell, Asus, Lenovo...).

You can clean install W10 by using the media creation tool, or you can use the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility,

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

When W8 came out, Microsoft starting putting the OEM product keys in the BIOS to prevent the OEM keys on the older product key labels from being used on different PC's. 

That is a violation of the OEM software terms, but no doubt thousands of folks used the XP, Vista and W7 OEM product keys from a label on one PC, for another.

With the product key being in the BIOS, it is impossible to use that key on another PC.

So...yes...since 2012 you don't need a product key to reinstall Windows if the PC came with Windows 8 or newer from the PC manufacturer (HP, Dell, Asus, Lenovo...).

You can clean install W10 by using the media creation tool, or you can use the cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility,

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

perfect answer !

The cloud recovery tool sounds interesting.

Thanks at all

Michael

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Michael.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.