Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook Folio 9480M
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to begin learning how to develop on android but when i tried to run a program on android studio i was told to enable vt-x acceleration through the BIOS. I tried booting into the bios but it prompts me for a password. I bought this laptop off someone else and i'm not sure if they set one. Is there a way to reset it? I really want to learn android development but this isn't letting me move forward.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry but, I just looked into this more and, The bad news is that you have to replace the BIOS chip on the motherboard to reset the password. HP Elitebooks have more security since they are business computers. Sorry about that.

If I solved your Problem please click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi, @ariel_s15 and welcome to the forums!

To reset the password try removing the cmos battery and removing the laptop battery and hold the power button for 8 seconds (You should do this before opening the computer) and then reinstall the battery and cmos battery then turn it on Tada! The BIOS password should be gone.

if I solved your Problem please click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended
Hello thank you for replying. I did as you told me to do and it said that there was an error and to reset the laptop and everything would go back to default configurations. I resetted the laptop and went int bios but it still prompts for a password. By some chance is it pre installed? Because it says the user id is "BIOS administrator".
HP Recommended

Let the laptop set at that screen, it should restart and the password should be gone.

HP Recommended
I let it sit at the screen as you told me to and let it reboot by itself but it still prompts me to login.
HP Recommended

Sorry but, I just looked into this more and, The bad news is that you have to replace the BIOS chip on the motherboard to reset the password. HP Elitebooks have more security since they are business computers. Sorry about that.

If I solved your Problem please click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended
I see. No use in trying to learn android development now. Thank you very much for replying. I really appreciated the help
HP Recommended

@ariel_s15

For that model you will need to contact HP and they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.htm​​l

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

REO

HP Recommended
Hello i did what you told me to do and they said they would send the file within 48 hours. Thank you very much for the help!
HP Recommended

Your very welcome @ariel_s15

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.