Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I am trying to reset my laptop back to factory settings. I have directions - press Ecs when starting, press f10, File - Reset Default, follow instructions on screen.

The only "instruction" that comes up is to confirm the reset by pressing Yes or No. I have gone through the procedure several times. When I restart the computer, nothing is different. . . . Everything is all still there.

Can any help?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are referring to factory resetting the hard drive to its original out of the box condition, you need to be tapping the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.

Tapping the F10 key and resetting the BIOS to its defaults, just resets the BIOS settings to their defaults, not the operating system and programs that came with your notebook.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are referring to factory resetting the hard drive to its original out of the box condition, you need to be tapping the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.

Tapping the F10 key and resetting the BIOS to its defaults, just resets the BIOS settings to their defaults, not the operating system and programs that came with your notebook.

HP Recommended
I figured it out. I needed to do a recovery - f11
HP Recommended
Thank you Paul! 🙂
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

The reset option is showing me a warning message that "Resetting to factory default will result in loss of information?"

Does reseting the BIOS wipe out the data in the hard drive?

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried f11 and it brought me to start in safe mode, nothing about reset 😞 my laptop is a hpprobook icore2 windows xp

HP Recommended
This does nothing for me. Just brings me to the regular start up screen.
HP Recommended

I have this same problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.