Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC
Linux

Just tried to check for BIOS/Firmware updates to fix the recently reported vulnrabilities and I hope the page I've come across is not the only place to look.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

Here I can see a software package for my computer (SP84836.exe)  but as I run Linux on my system this is utterly useless to me!! What should Linux users do to apply this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well it seems if you go into the Update BIOS option it gives you pretty much all the information you need. Except the fact the files are extracable from the .exe files. It is really hard to put this information clearly on the website somewhere?

IMG_20180111_151210407.jpg

Luckily I remembers I have ~7% I leave unallocated on my SSD as it (use to) be considered good practice to leave some spare space to get used when blocks die. I formatted this to FAT32 and gave it a go.

The only worrying thing is after copleting it seemed to say my BIOS was dated from last year. Will double check it really has gone to the right version.....

So the process is quiet simple. But why the absolutely lack of anything to let you know how to on the website??

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

OK seems the .exe files are actaully archives so can be uncompressed on any system. I don't currently have a USB key on me but tomorrow I will try giving the rest of the instructions on this page a go.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/How-to-update-BIOS-on-Linux/td-p/4869835

But seeing as how you have Linux as a selectable OS option how about having the files without the Windows executables listed when this is selected with the suitable install method for non-Windows users as provided? Seems something that should be so obvious I don't know why I'm having to suggest it!!

HP Recommended

EDIT (01-11-2018). Reason: Clarification.

This method posted by kyle_b on this forum a couple days ago worked flawlessly for me.  NOTE:  (A separate Windows computer is necessary to create the bootable USB stick that you can then boot on the computer running Linux to update the BIOS) :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

HP Recommended

Try creating bootable FreeDOS USB stick. Boot into it and execuate the EXE file.

HP Recommended

@pjc123 wrote:

EDIT (01-11-2018). Reason: Clarification.

This method posted by kyle_b on this forum a couple days ago worked flawlessly for me.  NOTE:  (A separate WIndows computer is necessary to create the bootable USB stick that you can then boot on the computer running Linux to update the BIOS) :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Is your edit the reason my reply has disappeared or is it part of my system was just acting a bit odd?

Yeah currently I have easy access to a Winows computer to try that method, although i have gone through months of a time while travelling when I haven't had. BIOS, even EFEI, is OS independant and updating it really should not rely on the OS you are using!!

But as this is a community support forum, and not populated by actually HP people, I'm wasting my fingertips trying to make that point here......

I had started to think HP were better with their openess and support than Lenovo but really feeling I might move back to Thinkpads when it's time to replace this one now! 😞

HP Recommended

Yes, somehting weird happened as I received your post via email, but it did not appear on the website.  You made a good point, so that is why I fixed my post.  Anyway, yes, this is the first time I have come across a major manufacturer that does not provide a method to update the BIOS outside the OS.  Ironically, I actually just bought a Thinkpad after my experience with HP!  My thinkpad already received its BIOS patch for Meltdown and/or Spectre, while the HP patch isn't going to arrive until February 15th.....sad.

HP Recommended

@pjc123 wrote:

Anyway, yes, this is the first time I have come across a major manufacturer that does not provide a method to update the BIOS outside the OS.  Ironically, I actually just bought a Thinkpad after my experience with HP!

Dell doesn't either.

And neither does Lenovo.

Verify before you trash.

HP Recommended

@ieee488 wrote:

@pjc123 wrote:

Anyway, yes, this is the first time I have come across a major manufacturer that does not provide a method to update the BIOS outside the OS.  Ironically, I actually just bought a Thinkpad after my experience with HP!

And neither does Lenovo.

My Thinkpad X230 most certainly did!! Ad did my old Dell Latitude, can't remember model number....

Although I can believe much less do now that EFEI is the standard, which my Dell didn't have but the Lenovo did.

HP Recommended

@kazakore wrote:

@ieee488 wrote:

@pjc123 wrote:

And neither does Lenovo.

My Thinkpad X230 most certainly did!! Ad did my old Dell Latitude, can't remember model number....

Although I can believe much less do now that EFEI is the standard, which my Dell didn't have but the Lenovo did.

If your Dell Latitude did or your Thinkpad X230 did, then those are flukes.

The great majority do not just as most people don't use Linux.

HP Recommended

ieee488 wrote:

And neither does Lenovo.

Get your facts before you trash me.  In addition to the Windows method, Lenovo provides an ISO file for users of non-Windows OS's.  I can't speak for Dell.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.