Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-5001na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My Laptop froze and then would not log in into Windows (it got as far as accepting my password then crashed out after a while). After running diagnostics all hard drive (SSD) tests failed immediately, presenting a failure ID.

I was able to restore Windows 8 using the self-made HP recovery media USB.

However, upon running diagnostics the Hard Drive test came up with the same "fail" errors. Also, the battery gave an error in the diagnostics test. Chatting with HP live support, they checked the error and said it had to be repaired. They also recommended changing the battery.

I replaced the SSD with a new upgraded one by Samsung (500GB) and a new battery (Duracell 2-Power powerpack). 

I then restarted to the "boot device not found" "Hard Disk 3F0" screen. Diagnostics said the hard drive tests were not available. I attempted to use the recovery USB Media which took me to the HP recovery application. At least one option was greyed out but I tried to run a system restore. This failed. I then reattempted booting to the recovery disk but the recovery disk was no longer recognized. Checking on a separate PC, the recovery USB seems to have been wiped completely and is no longer recognized as a drive! 

I have ordered a new HP recovery kit but would appreciate any help in diagnosing and preparing for when the kit arrives. I want to avoid the same happening to the new recovery media. 

Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The new SSD is completely blank. That is why it seems to not be there....there is no software on it. Even the diagnostics runs from a partition on the hard drive which you do not have on a blank drive. Since Windows 8, activation of Windows is different than the old days. No Key Code needed. On Windows 8 and 8.1 activation comes from Code embedded in the BIOS. That is present even when no hard drive is installed. Windows 10 can also activate from BIOS Code but also the Windows 10 activation servers keep a record of every computer in the world that ever had Windows 10 installed and activated based on some secret formula. Even if you change hard drives it will work. So you can go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site (just google that) and download an image of Windows 10 that the online app will make into a bootable thumb drive you can use to reinstall Windows 10 and it will "just work". Very likely drivers and some utility apps and your data can be recovered off the old drive with an inexpensive usb to SATA adapter. If not all your drivers are available here on this site or we can help you find them. Paid apps like Microsoft Office would have to be reinstalled but thats a piece of cake if you are using Office 365. The recovery media you will get from HP includes the original factory OS (8.1) and apps frozen in time to when you bought the laptop. So it will need a lot of updates, but you could immediately upgrade it to Windows 10 from the Media Creation Tool site over the internet without using a bootdisk. You would get a current version of Windows 10 and then you would basically have a factory Windows 10 installation. A couple things may not work immediately with Windows 10 but there are workarounds we can help with. 

Post back if any of this is still unclear. Between us here on the Forum we have helped thousands to restore their laptops and I have done hundreds of OS reinstalls and recoveries myself. 

If this is the info you needed please accept as solution. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Can't explain how the usb stick got formatted. Did you ever have Windows 10 installed and activated on the laptop? If so you can get a free download from Microsoft to reinstall Windows 10. Otherwise @Paul_Tikkanen has provided a link from time to time to a site which has downloads of disk images of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. On your laptop if you reinstall an OEM version of the original Windows 8 or 8.1 it will automatically activate. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer. Thanks. 

It came with Windows 8.1 but I ran the free update to Windows 10, that Microsoft were offering at the time. However, I'm not sure how I would reactivate my copy, given I've had to install a new Hard Drive. 

If I install the disk image of Windows 8.1, will it reactivate based upon recognizing the device some way? 

Putting USB issue aside, do you know if the behaviour of not identifying a hard drive is normal in these circumstances? 

I noticed the HP Recovery Media product states in FAQ that:

"Q: What is the difference between the HP Recovery Disk and a Recovery Disk I make myself?"

"A: An HP Recovery Disk that you purchase includes the latest operating system and drivers, and therefore is more up to date than a Recovery Disk you make yourself - which contains only the operating system and drivers that come from your computer."

Therefore, I'm hoping the Meida will come with Windows 10, as it was a much better product on my device. 

HP Recommended

The new SSD is completely blank. That is why it seems to not be there....there is no software on it. Even the diagnostics runs from a partition on the hard drive which you do not have on a blank drive. Since Windows 8, activation of Windows is different than the old days. No Key Code needed. On Windows 8 and 8.1 activation comes from Code embedded in the BIOS. That is present even when no hard drive is installed. Windows 10 can also activate from BIOS Code but also the Windows 10 activation servers keep a record of every computer in the world that ever had Windows 10 installed and activated based on some secret formula. Even if you change hard drives it will work. So you can go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site (just google that) and download an image of Windows 10 that the online app will make into a bootable thumb drive you can use to reinstall Windows 10 and it will "just work". Very likely drivers and some utility apps and your data can be recovered off the old drive with an inexpensive usb to SATA adapter. If not all your drivers are available here on this site or we can help you find them. Paid apps like Microsoft Office would have to be reinstalled but thats a piece of cake if you are using Office 365. The recovery media you will get from HP includes the original factory OS (8.1) and apps frozen in time to when you bought the laptop. So it will need a lot of updates, but you could immediately upgrade it to Windows 10 from the Media Creation Tool site over the internet without using a bootdisk. You would get a current version of Windows 10 and then you would basically have a factory Windows 10 installation. A couple things may not work immediately with Windows 10 but there are workarounds we can help with. 

Post back if any of this is still unclear. Between us here on the Forum we have helped thousands to restore their laptops and I have done hundreds of OS reinstalls and recoveries myself. 

If this is the info you needed please accept as solution. 

HP Recommended

This is great. Thank you Huffer. At first windows installer couldn't find the HD but 2nd time around it worked. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.