Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce3007ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Some time ago I encountered an issue with my laptop and I sent it to HP service for repair using my warranty. I just received it back, and the letter explaining performed actions states that the only things that were done, are system reinstallation (Windows 10) and cleaning. It works well so far but the D drive I previously had, disappeared and is undetectable. I tried using several solutions that I found on the web to detect it but without success.

Also, when I attempt to run "gpedit.msc", the system states it is not found on my device. There are no backups available for my device (although they were before the repair). There is only one drive available in Administrative tools. I downloaded all the drivers suggested by HP detector, but it didn't solve the issue.

What happened and how can I solve it? Is it possible that HP removed my secondary hard drive? Why, what for and what should I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Barcarolla .

Well, what you mention is a partition that could have been deleted at the time of Windows reinstallation, however it does not cause any problems with the performance of the computer, since the partition is the one already named Windows RE tools

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Barcarolla .
Check in the disk manager can you see the drive you mention, and let us know.

If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

Hi @GOLD_MASTER,

Thanks for replying. This is what I can see in the Disk Manager:

Disk 0 - 260 MB
C drive - 476 GB
Windows RE tools - 505 MB

As you can see, Disk 0 and Windows RE tools are of very small capacity. Previously, I had C drive with about 500 GB (as it is now) plus D drive with a couple of GBs as well (not sure what the capacity was exactly but certainly much more than what is "Disk 0" and "Windows RE tools" now).

HP Recommended

Some more information would help - such as what drives in the laptop are your C: and D drives, but a possible issue?

You note that this was re-imaged by HP Support and recently returned.  I am guessing that you have a PCIE drive as C: and a 2.5" SATA drive based on the configuration of this model.

Initially, the laptop came with 1 drive, correct?  When HP re-imaged your laptop it's most likely that your BIOS is set up to its default settings.  You may need to adjust your BIOS.

Turn on or restart the computer and quickly press f10.
– or –
Turn on or restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f10 when the Start menu is displayed.

HP Recommended

I tried using F10 but it displays a menu with plenty of options and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look for. What exactly should I do to adjust my BIOS?

When I bought my laptop, it contained 2 hard drives. Now there's just one.

HP Recommended

@PeteC22 

Your device came with only one 512gb drive from the factory and not two according to the device specs:
https://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c06596303

HP Recommended

Yes, I corrected my previous answer. It's absolutely certain there were 2 hard drives, one nearly 500 GB as you say, and the other one with a couple of GBs (I don't remember the exact amount but it was way more that 1GB for sure). What could have happened to it?

HP Recommended

@Barcarolla .

Well, what you mention is a partition that could have been deleted at the time of Windows reinstallation, however it does not cause any problems with the performance of the computer, since the partition is the one already named Windows RE tools

HP Recommended

Now it is clear! I was worried that during the repair something has gotten deleted but now I understand that it's only a partition that I can easily re-create. Thank you for your explanation!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.