Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I was having same issue (rebooting on shutdown) even after they repaired and new bios update but finally replaced and i am fine.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You mean  you got a completely different system at the end. WOW

HP Recommended

There have been 2 BIOS updates recently.  And 2 BIOS ago this is where the problem started.   Another BIOS came today and I was very hopeful.

Let me retrieve the number  (not easy when machine keeps rebooting past the BIOS point)

Okay my machine to be clear Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX

is now at BIOS level F.37

And it must surely be the BIOS that is causing the problem

It's the same for 

Shutdown

Hybernate

Sleep

All intially seem to work then the machine restarts itself

It is bloody annoying.

---

NB: I  have tried putting the BIOS back to the default settings post upgrade but this does not work for me

I have also reset TPM

HP Recommended

I followed the idea to turn off windows fast boot, then at am admin prompt type

shutdown /s /t 0

However the next step was once the laptop had 'shut down' then start it up etc.

Unfortunately, you guessed.   The shutdown command executed and then 5 seconds after it shutdown it restarted again.

So no this solution did not work.

BIOS F.37

Windows 10 Enterprise

HP Recommended

AWFUL KUDGE WORKAROUND

I might mention that I set a power on and admin password for my computer due to old IT person paranoia.

So this in fact comes in handy with this issue.

With the passwords installed

a)  try to shutdown / sleep / hibernerate system

b) so after performing action (a) about 10 seconds later the system comes alive again

c) but now it starts and asks me for my password

d) I now press the poweron key once and it now switches off.

So the simplest sleep or shutdown etc now takes ages because I have to wait for the restart and press of the power key, but at least I can actually turn of the bloody system

I intend to report this to HP as a support call and will update this forum with results.

BTW it's about midnight as I write this an I went into the support assistant and asked for contact and it comes up with "Nothing !!" I am presuming this is the hour, but I was sort of expecting the ability to email in the problem.   I will try again during office hours.  Now about doubly or triply unimpressed.

regards mb.

HP Recommended

Today I finally had time to address the Shutdown Causes Reboot issue.

This is not a solution but a progress report.  I promised / (threatened 🙂 to HP support that I would post an update here and on my public Internet channel so here goes.

From the top

01 I bought an HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop late 2017 . Model 15-bl1XX

02 It has worked fine since purchase, I have not opened up the laptop i.e. NOT changed or upgraded any internal component

03 Since upgrading to BIOS F.36 and then F.37 . when I try to shutdown or sleep or Hibernate the laptop, after the initial state change the laptop then wakes back up.  In other words you can't shut it down

04 because I have a poweron password set it halts at that point, asking for entry.  And if the laptop is closed up and I went away, the fan spins at 100%, the laptop is ON, gets very hot, the battery will drain to 0% and I will come back to find a totally dead laptop that I need to recharge etcetera

05 I've been working with PC's since about 1976, building them, designing them, so I have some experience in these matters

06 I do recognise its important to patiently go thru the official support process despite the fact that I spent hours researching the problem, and that my assessment is that since the problem surfaced imediately on the last 2 BIOS . (with only small changes to Windows 10 initially) it must surely be a BIOS issue

I further say that if HP would enable me to download an older BIOS and reflash it to see if this would remove the issue then we could easily confirm this is the problem.

07 today, Monday July 23rd I finally have time to call my home support HP UK.  I spoke today to Daniel and then to Adrian.  Adrian is in Premium support group

08 His PD was to ask me to shutdown the machine, then when it restarted itself hold down the power button for 7 seconds at which point it definitely shutdown and did not restart

We waited a further 10 or so seconds . (I counted) and then I powered on the laptop and we repeated the procedure.  No improvement

Since I am on F.37 BIOS he said the next step was for a courier to pickup the laptop and have local HP support determine the problem

09 The complication is that I am temporarily in Switzerland, but all credit to Adrian he's organised a courier for pickup Tuesday July 24th from my Swiss address

10 I asked him to report to his supervisor that taking away my laptop to fix was a 'totally and utterly ridiculous situation'.  What I politely mean is that a BIOS regression to me was the obvious step and this way I am without a critical computer component I can ill afford to lose for even a day, and from the forum it seems that laptop replacements may be in order

I note that my machine has a UK keyboard and in CH Switzerland you can't buy a machine with a UK keyboard . (Dell and Apple can deliver machines with non local keyboards, do note HP ).   So if they replace the whole machine I expect them to give me back a UK keyboard system!   If it is really necessary to swap the motherboard then shame on your designers HP.  Again a BIOS regression I thought was really a logical step.

It will take me over 4 hours to prepare the laptop to HP.  First I've created a regular (non admin) account use hp without password and checked that the laptop boots onto it

Next I removed all the Admin and Poweron BIOS passwords

I have cleared the TPM in the BIOS

I have attempted to delete all personal data from my system  (having a backup of that single component first)

I'm now doing a full system backup of the laptop which even to my USB 3.0 capable fast external disk will take hours

So all these steps take my time,  which is quite annoying.

11 Okay, this is the Gruffalo report for now.   I will probably post again to confirm that the laptop is picked up.

To anybody reading this (saga), it's the sort of thing that you can read vicariously with a smile, because it's not your laptop.  In my case it is and I am not smiling so much.

I will be posting further updates to my main Public Internet site which is majzel.blogspot.com from July 24

regards

marcus bennett

Professional Engineer

& long standing patient person.

HP Recommended

I have been dealing with the exact same issue since February 15th, 2019. I have an HP HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX laptop. Today I finally got a fix!!! Read on...

Every single time I shut down, hibernate or sleep my laptop, it goes through whatever process I initiated, then the power light goes out. 4 seconds later, it automatically reboots. I have been on 20+ hours of tech support calls and remote control sessions over the last 4 months with MS and HP engineers to no avail.

The problem started when I upgraded to Win10 build 1809 from 1803 and also updated the HP BIOS on Feb 15th 2019. No other driver or software changes were made at that time - only the windows and BIOS update. Something in either of those updates broke the suspend or shutdown process.

Since then, this happened every single time I have tried to shut down or suspend the PC. The only recourse I had was to press and hold the power button for a hard shutdown.

Finally today I called HP back. The woman I spoke to said that there was nothing else to do except send the laptop back for a $400-600 repair! I was shocked. I asked what they would do, and she said they would likely replace the motherboard. I've seen multiple other posts (including this one) where the motherboard replacement fixed the problem. I asked her to send me to HP Parts so I could get a replacement and do it my self.

When I got to the parts guy, it turns out that he was actually a Spectre technician as well. We talked for a few minutes, he said he would see if he could get me a discount on the part or repair, and while we were waiting for a manager to get back to him, he asked if we had tried a CMOS reset. Nope.

So, we force shut down the laptop by pressing and holding the power button. Once off, I pressed and held Win+V, pressed the power button and released it, waited 5-10 seconds, then released Win+V. A screen came up saying:

The CMOS checksum is invalid. The CMOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted. Please check your BIOS Setup Options to see if they change.

CMOS Reset (502)

ENTER - Reboot the system

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup

It actually fixed the problem!!! After months and months of frustration - and after speaking to a lot of really smart, good technicians - my man Rohit on the late night shift with Spectre support in India came up with the simple, easy, fast solution.

TLDR:

If your PC restarts every time you try to shut it down, sleep, or hibernate, try the CMOS reset before you spend hundreds of dollars and months of frustration. 

1. Fully shut down by pressing and holding power.
  2. Press and hold Win+V. Do not release.
  3. Press the power button.
  4. Once the power light comes on, wait 5-10 seconds, then release Win+V.
  5. If the screen says your CMOS checksum is invalid, you're one step away from your fix.
  6. Press ENTER
  7. Celebrate!
HP Recommended

Omg this needs to become the new "solved answer" !!! It worked for me too!!!

HP Recommended

You are my true redeemer, It really works!!!

HP Recommended

Looking through all possible solutions I tried everything for the last 10 months as I was having this problem.

And this is THE REAL fix!

Thank you dude! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.