Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptop will take about 5-10 minutes to start up. I had lodged my complaint to HP support team about 7-8 months ago and  technician came few times to fix the issue by updating drivers, reset windows, and change the hard disk. It works, but it was back again as before after 2-3 weeks which i believe after the windows updates (as read in the articles). 

As now, it's getting worst, it will takes about 7-10 minutes to start up (which previously within 5 minutes). During the 7-10 minutes, it's grey screen until the log in screen.

i am so fed up whenever i need to turn on my laptop especially when i in a rush. I hope HP support  team could help on this.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@YongYF,Welcome to HP Community!

Let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have caused the issue. 

• Turn off the computer. 
  • Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers. 
  • Unplug the AC adapter from the computer. 
  • Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory. 
  • Press the Power button to turn on the computer. 
  • If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key. 

Second, you can check if there is Bios update available for your PC, here is the link to download. 

Performing a test on the Hard drive as well as on the Memory from the Hardware diagnostics:  

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  4. Click Extensive Test.
  5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.
    While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

NOTE:

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

HI Praveendv,

For 2nd step, i managed to reach to the menu of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI), but there is no System Test to click. Only Memory Test, Storage Test, Hard Drive Check & Language. I ran Memory Test & Hard Drive Check. And i Exit thereafter, and wait for about 10 minutes to log in to the windows. 

i tried to download the PC Hardware Diagnostics as per link given. It's been downloaded in my Download folder, but i could not find the access from my start/program  menu  ..... i have saved the drive in a USB,,,but still not able to find a clue how should go furhter.

HP Recommended

Try updating the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Updating the BIOS  & Windows updated

You can try updating the drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists

The only option to reimage the operating system to factory settings.

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click Advanced system settings.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
  5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

If you've been using the Recovery Partition (F11) to reinstall the OS, I recommend using the Recovery media instead to wipe out the HDD and create a new partition and fresh OS installation: Click here to obtain one, if you don't have on in your possession.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.