Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant notifies me of recommended BIOS F.35 Update. I run the download and install and it gets to the HP BIOS Update and Recovery screen. I click Update and it downloads the service pack, appears to run it but never completes.

This is the second time I've been notified of the update and the second time it has failed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ghanson59

Download, save, and install the latest BIOS manually, that is, do not use the HP Support Assistant.

BIOS - Download, Instructions, and Information:

HP Spectre 15-bl100 x360 Convertible PC - HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

Version: F.36 Rev.A
Release date: Apr 27, 2018

Be sure you are connected to AC power (not battery) for the duration of the Update.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ghanson59

Download, save, and install the latest BIOS manually, that is, do not use the HP Support Assistant.

BIOS - Download, Instructions, and Information:

HP Spectre 15-bl100 x360 Convertible PC - HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

Version: F.36 Rev.A
Release date: Apr 27, 2018

Be sure you are connected to AC power (not battery) for the duration of the Update.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thank you for the reply and the recommendation to attempt installation manually. 

The BIOS update would not even start: the update option was grayed-out when running either SP87349 (F.36) or SP85676 (F.35). 

I am currently on F.34 (01/23/2018) and maybe this is the latest BIOS for my particular machine.

Hey, you solved the mystery as to the Support Assistant never being able to complete the update task. It was frustrating and I thank you for relieving my pain! 😄

HP Recommended

@ghanson59

You are welcome.

The latest BIOS (F.36 at this writing) contains all previous fixes.

That it won't install manually indicates something else is going on.

If you have not done so, install any other HP Drivers that need it, for example, the Chipset driver.

Afterwards, Restart the computer and log in.

Will that make a difference?   Meh, maybe not, but it may help.

As to which BIOS you run -- if the computer is happy with F.34 and there is no compelling reason to update to a later version (critical security update, for example), then leave it be and get on with life.  Smiling.

HP Support Assistant

In general, the HP Support Assistant works -- sometimes (not always), it is helpful to remove the program and start with a fresh copy.

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTES:

The Uninstall will ask you whether to save your personal settings.

In general, you should be able to get away with keeping the settings for your personal HPSA preferences -- "personal" settings include whether you have set "automatic" downloads / install, how you are notified, anything under HPSA "Settings".

At least the first time 'round, let the personal settings stay in place.

Download, save, and install a fresh copy of the software on each computer:

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administratorand install.

Help for HPSA:

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

HPSA and BIOS Update

I do not recommend using the HPSA to update the BIOS nor do I recommend the HP Support Assistant program be used to judge which BIOS should be installed.  History dictates that the HPSA program is not the best tool (again, at this writing) to trust with BIOS updates.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.