Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv4-1030ee FM186EA
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

A week into clean re-install and regret not opting to enter my user name when opted to in start menu, as just now find I'm unable to right-click on my  start menu's user photo (nothing happens whatsoever).  Pretty sure that's not right.

Hopefully the fix's less than  something like repairing from the CD-DVD ROM, unless that could be done w-o losing programs and updates, especially SP-1, which given the outdated IE9 browser, took me weeks of refusing offers of upgrading to W10, before it would download,

Using SR to go back and forth, if that would've/could've helped, isn't an option as WUC wiped those RP's.

I used to refer to myself as an advanced newbie, but now I realize that we users can often be our own worst enemy.

Advance kudos’ for the help, as this forum rocks.

wguru

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Now I am conffused. Have mentioned time and again, I'm running W7P (aka Windows 7 Professional) and yet you're response saying you are running that too, leaves wondering if you might have meant to say you're not running it.

Easy tp have overlooked, but I may have, or should've mentioned I used Windows Classic view (I like the "start" bitton, not the non-descript marble with W's logo/icon).

And yes that's the one thing we have nearly in common, ref. my left click, opens User Accounts (which can be accessed in several differing ways, depending on how the user wished to view Control Panel Home), ref...

Control Panel (then there, via that window's default view, in "catagory" view, the windows affords three specialized links to User Account controls, however if the User chooses small/large icons instead of 'catagory' view, here's where Windows looks like it used to look before designer's continued mucking things up, just my opionion).

Much the same might be said by many users with regards to using Classic view.  Aero view and 'Standard' non-XP Window view, all of which basically result in the endless migrating terminology, window design and sadly even more an more convoluted pathways, usually to thee same place, that or palcing focus ahead of time on specific aspects of where the user wants to go and/or the objectifications that Users wish.

In my opinion, all these changes are neraly completely  un-necessary as they continually muck up the bath wate,  leading to 'throwing out the baby, not just the bath wash water'.

Many thanks for your time here, and as I came to suspect, apologies for imposing on others while 'chasing my tail', or so it so sorely seems.

But in my opinion again, MS's focus on bloatware rather than useful-ware like hover help and scaleable windows and moreover, scaleable text for folder content (intead of changing display resolution to that which application and web page designer's too, refuse tgenerally ignore providing much of real effort at providing 'Useful-ware' as opposed to 'Get it out the door-ware', hense the frustration, confusion, wasted time, energy and  and yes, the ire of so many Users.

As much as possible, best wishes and happ-e-trails to all,

wguru  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Assuming there is no problem actually getting into Windows 7 under the regular account and it is an Admin account - go to control panel and then User Accounts.  There is all you should need to re-assign the necessary login and pictures and whatever else you would like change on the account

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The reply stating in part '..need to re-assign the necessary login and pictures and whatever else...', results in no joy. If having stated ‘turn off the computer’, then  joy, there I do find.

Having already tried the obvious course of action and being refused at entering my user name (‘name already in use’), left me to having tried and succeeded in changing my user account photo and even still, entering my name inside the afforded dialog box, sorely results in ‘user name already in use’.

Adding insult to injury, I see below the ‘change your user name’ dialog box, it adds “This name will appear on the Welcome screen and on the Start menu”.

It results and advises the same things, regardless if I’m using Classic or Aero Windows view.

If of any usefulness, note that even attempts at using the user account window’s afforded "change account photo" option, there again next to the displayed user photo, it does state my name and adds “Administrator Password Protected".

So unless there’s something I’m overlooking, the advice leads to no joy.

Regards,

wguru

HP Recommended

Since the first advice did not lead to a happy result, investigate creating a new user account as administrator.  HERE IS A GUIDE.  Just mark the new user account as "Administrator" instead of a "Standard User" as shown.   Once that has been completed and you verified it works, reassign the one that is causing you discomfort as a spare account.  You really should have a spare admin account anyways just in case the regular account gets corrupted.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for hanging in there with me and thank you for the replies. They're really appreciated.

Will do and post back with hopeful joy.

Seems i recall deleting a secondary (no administrator) account.  Don't recall why, but I see the wisdom in what you've kindly advised..

But surely whenever I do another clean install, or even a rpair install, I'll be sure to allow my name to be listed in the start menu's user account listing (as I'm guessing that's an issue in some respect).

Not to bump things here, but still unclear though about key aspect of repair installs.  Does it wipe security updates and patches, along with program, or does the ssd, CBS folder, TrustedInstaller.exe, SFC.exe simply all kick in along with WindowsUpdateAgent, so as to what,  restablish the registry (so as not to need re-downloading them all again, or am I off base and just dreaming)?

Look forward to that shared wisdom when I post back with results.

Best regards and happ-e-trails as always,

wguru 

HP Recommended

If you do a new install it should allow the new name etc, it you go to that trouble.  I am not certain about a repair install, as I have not actually done one on Windows 7.

Your comments make sense " with WindowsUpdateAgent, so as to  restablish the registry (so as not to need re-downloading them all again."

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Ahhhh, so we're saying what, 'you do not use W7 any longer, or might not ever have had it running on your machine(s)'?

Irregardless, perhaps I'm on the wrong trail here, ref. I'd read that users are supposed to be able to r-click the start menu's user account photo (which reportedly then displays the user's account info, folders, whatever).  True to your knowledge or experience?

Maybe if you don't recall ever r-clicking the user acct photo (in the start menu's top right column), I could have misinterpreted someone's post regarding this matter.

As for my subject user acct., and it's mentioned photo, I did create a new acct as you suggested, and I see that user acct's start menu's right-hand column, it displays one thing my subject user acct's view does not (the new acct listed immediately below the photo, has a folder titled the same as the user name I chose for the new acct, while the other acct doesn't list a users folder, named or not).

App's if we've possibily misunderstood one another, or if either one is/was confused, but maybe I don't even have an issue of any reasonable concern, in that I'm now guessing if we're clear about your experience and/or certain knowledge about r-clicking the user acct's photo-icon (named photo or not) in the start menu, then maybe the fact that apparently by design, the start menu's photo never had or never does have a user's name embedded into that icon (something I presumed prior to now, especially since I see no user acct's named folder, I see not user's name embedded into the user's photo, as I now understand these differances via the new acct.

Maybe 'the long of the wrong itall is I'm chasing my tail over nothing of any consquence?

Best regards and as (nearly) always, happ-e-trails,

wguru

HP Recommended

I did not say I was not a Windows 7 user, I am as this reply on a Windows 7 machine just to check what we are discussing.  I looked at my "Administrator account", changed the picture and did some re-checking that it did indeed work as I described.

I did not see anything resembling what was described here  "As for my subject user acct., and it's mentioned photo, I did create a new acct as you suggested, and I see that user acct's start menu's right-hand column, it displays one thing my subject user acct's view does not (the new acct listed immediately below the photo, has a folder titled the same as the user name I chose for the new acct, while the other acct doesn't list a users folder, named or not)."  Perhaps a screenshot of what you are seeing and the area not working as it should on this.  BTW: I have Windows 7 Pro, that might make a difference, I do not know for sure.

Weird things do happen, however.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Regarding my last post and your response, my 'asking' if you'd used W7P surely might affect the posts. Your response to me, indicated I'd said you had or had't used W7P.  Apologies if taken poorly, really no offense intended.

Again if my posting that 'maybe I was chasing my tail', was taken poorIy, I wasn't trying to insinuated anything, I  just wanted to share what I could towards resolving this, especially if it wasn't an issue after all.

Does your start menu's user acct's photo/icon have your name embedded into it or is your user account's so named folder, simply appear separately in the list below the photo/icon?

And either way, are you able to right-click your user acct's photo/icon and it too results in nothing happening?

Here's a screenshot of the 'issue' on  my end.

Thanks again for sharing, not to mention the time and energy afforded the forum.start menu's right-hand column.jpg

HP Recommended

The picture posted is in a different style than mine.  Mine has the computer name at the top right under the picture ( which might be the same thing as what you are calling the name ) and then the various headings under that.  But, I am running Windows 7 Pro, and that might why there is a difference.

Right clicking on the picture does nothing but left clicking on the picture takes me right to the control panel / user accounts where that account is shown.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.