Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm running a new HP Elitebook 845 G9 running on a Ryzen 6800u, originally installed with Garuda Linux (Arch-derivative), updated to the latest 6.2 Zen kernel (I have LUKS encryption with BTRFS on top). But I'm getting tons of suspend resume issues. Many resumes, especially in different locations with new Wifi, just hang the system requiring a shutdown. It seems to have gotten worse in recent kernels, when I would have thought it would have gotten better.

I posted about this problem before, and I thought I'd fixed it with disabling hibernate. But it's come back, so I tried installing Nobara Linux 37 (essentially Fedora Workstation with some fixes on top), running 6.14. Everything looked great, and I closed the lid before going to bed, and then it freezes after entering my password on wakeup. No key combination allows me to break the cycle, so I have to hard reboot. I have not enable hibernate.

So the problem is not the distribution or kernel, since I've seen this with more than one are exhibiting this. This is a deeper problem. I do see others with suspend and other issues on it. On HP forums Linux users have been reporting problems with updating the BIOS (and there's no way to downgrade) so I've not tried that. Perhaps this is not an issue with newer BIOSes or kernels.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The issue is probably the same one mentioned here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Enable-S3-sleep-state-for-Elite...

S3 sleep isn't supported and the alternative causes issues in Linux. I also have the 845 G9 and used the workaround described in this reply: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Enable-S3-sleep-state-for-Elite...

This is not a good workaround though: The alternative sleep method drains the battery quite fast.

EDIT: Not entirely true. The newest BIOS version fixes the sleep issues but afaik it's still not S3 sleep. The workaround I've mentioned is only necessary when also having DriveLock active.

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me. Did you install BIOS outside of Windows using this method

One pattern I've noticed is that I only have problems when I wake up from sleep in a different (and previously unknown) Wifi network. So one time-consuming mitigation I've done is to shut down when I know I'm going somewhere outside the home that I haven't been to before.

HP Recommended

Yes, I've used that exact blog post and it worked without any issues. It's a bit scary in between because the display goes completely dark for some time with wild blinking patterns of the LEDs but you just need to wait and the firmware will be installed correctly.

I guess you're using Linux too then? I've read something about Wifi issues with this laptop that were all resolved by newer kernel version iirc. If you're already on a recent kernel version, I've got no idea. I'm on Fedora 37 with Linux kernel 6.2.7 right now and have the Qualcomm Wifi 6E network adapter: No Wifi issues at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.