Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-cd0000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. Since past few days i was facing issues while operating my HP Laptop. Yesterday night, because of the issues i was facing, I had started 'System Restore' session on my Laptop at around 11.00PM (26.08.2019). However, it seems that the System Restore operation is stuck, since even after 12 hours the laptop is flashing the following message:

"Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored. System Restore is restoring the registry..."

Request to please suggest way forward. I am not sure whether to force shut down the laptop of keep it as it is.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @AnomBS 

If the computer seems like frozen and not doing anything now, you have no other option other than interrupting it. System Restore is usually a fast operation and should take only a couple of minutes but never hours.

You may press and hold the power-on button for 5-6 seconds until it completely powers off. Try to start it again after that.

• Are you able to start your PC at all? What kind of issues you had before you decided to try with System Restore ?
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @AnomBS 

If the computer seems like frozen and not doing anything now, you have no other option other than interrupting it. System Restore is usually a fast operation and should take only a couple of minutes but never hours.

You may press and hold the power-on button for 5-6 seconds until it completely powers off. Try to start it again after that.

• Are you able to start your PC at all? What kind of issues you had before you decided to try with System Restore ?
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi @IT_WinSec,

Thank you for your reply. Well, I did force restart the laptop and luckily it all turned out good. But I am still not sure whether system recovery is done or not. Anyways, it all started a few days back when I accidently removed Microsoft Office from my Laptop and when I tried to reinstall it because of some issue, the download also could not complete.

When I again tried to install Microsoft Office I got the message that 'previous download/installation is already in progress', but I could not find any in my . I checked online regarding the error I tried downloading Easy Fix Tool and to my dismay this download also did not work. Later the system got slower and slower and I decided to give a shot to System Restore, which of course, as you know, did not work.

Now I want to reinstall Microsoft Office in my Laptop. Could you please help me in this regard.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

OK, good to hear Windows started.

What is your Office version you want to download or install ? Is it Office 365 or another ? What edition ?

Basically, I would recommend you first download and run Office uninstaller >> https://aka.ms/diag_officeuninstall

Follow its instructions to remove currently installed Office apps

Make sure you restart your computer eventually

Try to reinstall Office.

If this does not help, try checking this article >> https://windowsreport.com/another-installation-already-progress-error-windows-10/

Try Solutions (1), (2), (5), (7), (9) - only these.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes

HP Recommended

Hi !!!

Well it worked this time. Don't know how, but after running the program and restarting the laptop, I saw that Office was installed and running fine.

However, the screen went blank (black) quite a few times in the process and I was worried whether the system will crash. But eventually the Office is up and running as of now.

After restarting the PC, I am seeing two messages in the notification center as follows:

1.Fix apps that are blurry on your main display. Yes, Open Settings. APPLY.

2.Display driver failed to start. Check Windows update for a new display driver.

Should I go ahead and run the above two PROGRAMMES for a better experience. 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Good to hear/read.

😊

For the video card driver, you can visit this URL from HP >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-14-cd0000-x360-convertible-pc/20283983

Make sure you select Windows 10 (x64) and then open the drivers list. Navigate to drivers for Driver-Graphics (10) and expand the selection. Based on your Windows version either 17xx or 18xx, download the Intel driver. Install it and restart the computer

Do the same for the NVidia driver. However, if your Windows is build 1903 (latest), once you open the HP website, you need to first choose the operating system to Windows 10 (x64) - 1903. Then go to Driver-Graphics (1)

Here are instructions how to check which is your Windows 10 version/build >> https://www.howtogeek.com/236195/how-to-find-out-which-build-and-version-of-windows-10-you-have/

HP Recommended

HI there !!!

Sorry for the delayed reply...I was stuck with some other official tasks...

Anyways...I downloaded the Graphics Driver and the command prompt gave me the following message so I am not sure whether the driver is correctly installed or not. I did restart the computer eventually...I am attaching screenshot of the message that was displayed...Would really appreciate your response to the below...

There are a few more issues I am facing as of now...Would be grateful to receive your guidance on resolving those but I guess lets concentrate on the below issue first

Thank you.

image.png

HP Recommended

After you tried to update the drivers, do you still experience the issues described above  ?

The screenshot you display is for the Intel driver and is for Windows 10 before 1903 ?  Is this your version ? Have you tried updating the NVidia one, as well ?

@AnomBS wrote:

After restarting the PC, I am seeing two messages in the notification center as follows:

1.Fix apps that are blurry on your main display. Yes, Open Settings. APPLY.

2.Display driver failed to start. Check Windows update for a new display driver.

HP Recommended

Hi there !!!

Well the issues still persist. Infact after about 45 minutes of laptop startup the screen goes blank/black and i am not able to do anything but to force restart the laptop.

I guess the laptop is automatically trying the update the Windows version to 1903 from 1803 but as soon as the update hits 80% the system goes blank. Don't know why thats happening.

Yes, the Windows 10 version is 1803 and my laptop does not possess the Nvidia Graphics. Its Intel HD Graphics instead. My Laptop is HP Pavilion x360 - 14-cd0077tu 

HP Recommended

Based on the drivers versions, I noticed that you indeed use older version of Windows 10.

Have you considered performing fresh clean Windows 10 installation ? This installation (if performed now) will include 1903 in it and you will also be able to install the very latest drivers for 1903.

Fresh clean installation of Windows 10 will also remove any other potential issues with the operating system.

If you are willing to do it, let me know - in the mean time I will provide you instructions below

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.