Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop did not have any problem when it was on warranty.  I began to get emails from HP Customer Service to extend the warranty, but I did not.  The warranty ended on April 2020.  The Windows crashed for 1st time on beginning of June.  I shut down laptop at night & got dim screen at the morning.  Windows didn't start.  I reinstalled Windows about 10 times after that.  When the laptop isn't connected to Internet no problem, Windows OK.  When I connect laptop to Internet, Windows crashes.  Dim screen, no ability to troubleshoot.  The questions are:  Why it was not any problem when the laptop was on warranty?   Why problems began after the warranty ended? Why Windows do not crash when the laptop is not connected to Internet & why it crashes when it's connected to?  What to do to make the laptop work normally?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I love my laptop with Windows, but, unfortunately, Windows doesn't work on it when the laptop is online, despite many my tries and help of HP Support.  So, I installed Linux OS on the laptop and it works fine.  So, some hacker does not want me to use Windows OS.   Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@irayan I assure you the fact that your warranty ended has nothing to do with the windows crashing, it's probably just a mere co-incidence, that said, here's what you need to do, start with a hard reset as per HP standards: Click here for details.

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur. A BIOS update can also resolve the issue. Use the information in this document to resolve issues with the computer restarting unexpectedly.

If the computer restarts unexpectedly and then does not start to Windows, see one of the following documents for steps to resolve this issue:

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Also, have you attempted to capture any error message that appears before or after the device restarts?

Did you try updating the BIOS to resolve the issue? (If not, please click here to find and install it)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You assured me the fact that warranty ended has nothing to do with the windows crashing. I'd like to believe it, but how come each time I reinstall Windows after crash (I reinstalled it about 20 times) the longest time Windows stay was about 2 hours, the shortest time 15 minutes? How come when the laptop isn't online the Windows stay without crash indefinitely? Is it possible that in the HP laptop firmware is an option to send signal somewhere that Windows is on the laptop & from somewhere is sent a command to crash Windows.  I may assume it might be done automatically with some program because no human would watch my laptop 24 hours 7 days in a week.  I have 2 more computers with warranty ended long time ago - one not HP with Windows 10 and the other Mac Book Pro and they are good, no problem, only problem with HP laptop.  I updated BIOS week ago & it didn't help.  Windows crashed 2 times after. I do not see any sense to reinstall Windows again.  I appreciate in advance you answered my questions & help me to solve the problem.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@irayan

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the below steps on the computer to run a System Test

- Shut down/Turn off the computer

- Once the computer is completely Shut down/Turned off

- Now press the power button once to turn on the computer and immediately start pressing/tapping the F2 key on the keyboard

- This should open the UEFI Diagnostic screen on the computer

- Please select System Test and then select ExtensiveTest

Please let us know the test result.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I made the Extensive Test on 7/9.  The result is:  "Test Log All;  Type:  System[E];  Result: Passed;  Failure ID:  NA;  Description:  NA".  So, it looks like everything is OK with the laptop & the problem comes from outside, isn't it?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@irayan The tests have passed, which means, the hardware has no issues, that said, you mentioned that the OS re-installation was done more than 20 times, however, here's what I need to know:

How was the reset attempted, did you make use of the HP Recovery partition (F11) or did you use the HP recovery media? 
If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm, really, appreciate your efforts, but I'm sorry I can't click on "Accept as solution" because the problem isn't solved yet.  It doesn't meter I recover  or reinstall Windows.  Windows get crashed when the laptop is online & any total protection doesn't work.   I reinstalled Windows again & it's not online & OK.   I'm afraid to connect it to Internet to lose time again for re-installation.  The my topic should sound:  "The laptop Windows began to crash after the warranty ended only when HP PC is connected to Internet & no protection is able to protect it from crash.".    As you say: "The Extensive tests have passed, which means, the hardware has no issues".  I love my HP laptop, but can't use it.   It's not about the recovery.  The problem isn't solved & there is still some hope to get help.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@irayan As suggested please order the recovery media from HP and use the same to reinstall a fresh copy of the OS, 

As the one in your device seems to be corrupt or damaged, click here for details on how to obtain the recovery media.

let me know how that goes.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all, thanks for the advice.   I'd follow your advice, but I have some questions:  As you said if computer passed extensive test the computer is OK, no problem with hardware.  And now you say that one in my device seems is corrupted or damaged.  The question is:  if something in my device is corrupted or damaged why Windows stays firm when laptop isn't online, but crashes when laptop is online?   Are you sure that if I will use HP recovery media Windows won't die again?  OK, I will follow your advice and let you know about results.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Just before to use recovery media, I tried the installed Windows that stayed firm without to be connected to Internet for about 6 days to get it online.  So I connected my laptop to Internet.  I began to download Kaspersky Total Security.  After it was downloaded the installation began and on about the middle of installation Windows got crashed.  Windows  stayed firm for about 6 days when it wasn't online and get crashed in about 30 minutes after it get connected to Internet.  The most Windows stayed for about 3 hours, but I didn't install protection then.  It looks like that some firmware is watching my laptop getting somehow feedback signal from the laptop.  When Windows is installed Laptop send signal to firmware program and it crashes Windows.    I'm curious whose firmware is it and why it didn't crash my Windows when the laptop was on the warranty?  Would you tell me, please, do I need to create the Recovery Media on my laptop or I may create it on my desktop computer or I may download the Recovery Media on HP Support site where I didn't find such option?  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.