Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Folio
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Spectre Folio with a USB C post - and none of my USB drives are recognised by Windows

I have gone into Disk Mgt and no sign also updated USB bit at the bottom removed the light grey ones - but still does not recognise the drives

The Lights on the drive light up but WIndows 10 wont recognise it

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@drdrsydney Welcome to HP Forums Community!

Here's what you need to do:

Uninstall & reconnect the external hard drive

To do this, type ‘Device Manager’ in the Start Search box click the icon.

Next, select Disk Drives from the list of hardware, right-click the USB external hard drive with the issue and click Uninstall.

Following the uninstall, unplug the USB cable. Then, wait for a minute and reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load.

Look for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

Reinstall USB controllers

The method works if there is a problem with the loaded USB driver i.e. it has either become unstable or corrupted.

Open Device Manager and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Universal Serial Bus controllers

Then, right-click a device and click Uninstall. Repeat the same procedure for all devices.

Once done, restart the computer. Your USB controllers should automatically install.

Disable USB selective suspend setting

Click the battery icon visible on the taskbar of your computer screen. Adjacent to your currently selected plan, you should find ‘Change Plan Settings’ link. Click the link.

Change Plan Settings

Next, choose ‘Change advanced power settings’ option.

Then, click the box to expand the USB Settings. Expand USB selective suspend settings.

USB Selected suspend setting

Click the link adjacent to Plugged in option, then from the drop-down menu select Disabled option.

Disable settings

If you’re using a laptop, click Battery, then click the drop-down menu and select Disabled.

Click Apply, then click OK.

Make sure you create a system restore point first. Also, remember to restore your old setting back, if you find that some suggestion has not helped you.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.