Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen By HP Laptop 15 - ax001tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just reinstalled win 10 on my laptop but it's not activated. I found out on internet that the key is in the BIOS and it will detect automatically while installing new windows on the same laptop. I have now Windows 10 Home Single Language 64bit Edition however the default edition that came with my laptop was Win 10 Home 64bit. So is this the mismatch of edition causing the problem, if yes how to change the edition or solve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HamzaHassan 

YES -- that is the basis of the issue -- as different Windows versions use different activation keys.  You would have to buy  a license for the version that you installed.

You would do better doing a clean install from HP OEM media -- If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HamzaHassan 

YES -- that is the basis of the issue -- as different Windows versions use different activation keys.  You would have to buy  a license for the version that you installed.

You would do better doing a clean install from HP OEM media -- If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

Hello sir I have successfully recovered my laptop with the help of HP cloud recovery tool but the problem was same Windows is not activated and the edition of windows is not as same to default came with my laptop which was Win 10 Home. But i have now win 10 home single language after the recovery (Complete Factory Reset).  Why the default edition is not installed?

HP Recommended

@HamzaHassan 

Sorry, I have no idea as the HP Cloud Recovery tool is SUPPOSED to reinstall the version that matches the one that came originally on the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.