Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15cc178cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD in a Pavilion 15cc178cl running Win 10 Home 64.   The drive was recognized by the WIN 10 Disk Management utility as drive F:.  I then cloned it from the C: using Macrium Reflect.  After cloning, File Explore showed the C: and F: to be exactly the same.  I accessed the BIOS (InsydeH20.Rev 5.0) and selected the new SSD as the boot drive under the OS Boot Manager submenu of the UEFI Boot Order menu, I then pressed ESC and Fn 10 to save the selection.  After doing this, the computer still booted up from the C: and not the SSD drive.  I have also tried changing the boot drive using WIN 10 Settings but that didn’t work either.   What am I missing or doing wrong?  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I highly recommend that you do that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Notebooks that come with dual drive configurations from HP have no OS on the 2.5" drive.  It is for storage only.

No matter what you do, the PC will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first if it has an operating system on it.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to format the 2.5" drive and remove Windows.

Then the PC will find the only drive that it can boot from.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  Would it be a good idea if I disconnect the 2.5” HDD and rebooted to verify the SSD works prior to reformatting the HDD?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I highly recommend that you do that.

HP Recommended

After disconnecting the HDD the computer would not boot from the SSD and I got a Windows message saying, “Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart”. After restarting I got another error message, “Your PC couldn’t start properly” with an error code: 0xc0000001 and  instructed to use recovery tools.  Window recovery tools did not work but I was able to recover  to Window by using the Macrium Reflect Recovery Disk I created before cloning my HDD to the SDD.   Not sure what I did wrong and why the SSD never worked, but I appreciate the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.