Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The problem is file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\iaStorA.sys.  I read the posts by HJonathonH, KingbobDole, and God5m15t4k3.  When the installation was about 14% complete I got the error message which is the subject of this thread.  I could not delete or cut the iaStorA.sys file so I changed the name.  Then I went back to the Update error page.  On the right side of the page was a circular icon similar to the refresh or reset icons.  I clicked on it and the update continued and finished successfully.

HP Recommended

DAKS:  is your primary drive SSD?  I'd hate to rename that file and then discover that my SSD primary drive is no longer usable.

HP Recommended

I probably have both, but my primary drive is solid state.  The type of drive is probably not important.  Hiding the iastora.sys file will cause Windows 10 to not boot.  I did that and had to reinstall Windows.  If you change the file during the update the iastora.sys file is replaced.  If the update fails you need to restore the Iastora.sys file before you try to boot.

HP Recommended

If I understand things correctly, the iastora.sys module is what is needed to drive SSD.

Intel has a latest version on their website, but caution that we should use what the manufacturers of our computers produce because they may have mode modifications.

I think either Microsoft or HP should fix this for us.  As users, even highly skilled ones, we should not have to muck around inside the system to make their stuff work.

HP Recommended

No idea if this will help you, I had problems with the same update, the only way I could update was by using the 'Windows 10 update assistant', you will most likely have tried that, but.

HP Recommended

My Primary drive is an SSD; That is where my OS files are. All personal data files are on a small spinning disc.

HP Recommended

HJonathanH, Thank you for a very explicit and detailed explanation not only of the problem you were facing, but what you already tried to fix it. Knowing that level of detail is what allows problems to be fixed! I hope it works for you!

HP Recommended

That is interesting that a BIOS update solved this issue for you! But awesome that it worked! My fix took substantially less than 2 hours to work. But the Windows 10 update itself took about 40 minutes once I got the Intel RST stuff ironed out.

HP Recommended

Fix confirmed.

Thank you Kingbodole and G0d5m15t4k3.

My resolution path:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\iastorA.sys

2. Cut iastorA.sys  

3. Paste iastorA.sys  to  storage folder

4. Install Intel RST driver from the Intel website

5. Restart  Windows 10, version 1903 installer

a. 1903 goes to 40% then gives "two minute wait" message that lasts 15 minutes

b. 1903 proceeds from 40% - 100% takes about an hour

6. Restart Win 10

a. 3 automatic restarts, 8 minutes

7. Win 10 v_1903  installed and working

Thanks again guys.  I would have been LOST without your kind assistance.

Amen;  have a good one.

HP Recommended

Did you convert the hard drive from MBR to GPT?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.