Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Any luck or new info from UEFI tests?

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

If you look back at the bottom of page 4 I replied last night and stated the results and attached a picture.

I'll re attach the picture. I am also going to attach a second picture of what has started coming up when I first turn on my laptop. Since I updated the BIOS as I was told to.

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7983.JPG

HP Recommended

Does that CMOS error go away after it resets as described?

------------

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

Hopefully this is fixable and you won't need a new PC! Some types of repairs, though, if the product's old enough to no longer be under warranty, may be costly enough to justify looking at newer models. (I recently purchased a new laptop PC to replace on that was about 2-3 years old for just this reason. Newer, faster tech for not much more than what it would cost to fix it.) It was just a thought, for now. 🙂

Not sure why the test shows "cancelled" instead of an error or usable advice.

You said:  "I don't understand why the battery would be bad when it was working before I started incorperating the solutions?"

I'm not sure I understand; the first message from you is:

"My battery icon will randomly say "unkown remaining". Sometimes it will work as normal and state what it's charge is at and will function fine, unplugged for it's whole battery life (5 hours). Other times it needs to be plugged in or else it will shut down within minutes (even though it has a full charge), during those times it needs to be plugged in or else it will not turn back on. Then I will turn it back on and it will say it's 100% charged and work fine.

On startup, I sometimes get a battery alert. I have tried running the battery test from HP Assistant and it will not complete the test with message: "program has stopped working."

Was there something else before this? (If there's another thread by you on a non-battery issue, I didn't see it - this is where I started.)

This SOUNDED like a battery calibration issue. (Someone else suggested it could be a sign of problems with the motherboard. This was the point at which the UEFI Extensive test came up, to see if we could better pinpoint the root cause of the problem.) I'm going to ask around. I'll be back. Thanks for posting the picture - that's helpful.

------------

HP Recommended

I really hope this is a fixable issue, especially since the battery would work without being plugged in before I started implementing the suggestions to fix it.

I don't know why the test shows cancelled either. Maybe someone on your side has knowledge of this happening to other people and a solution? What do I do now?

No, there was nothing else before this thread. My battery would work for its regular time, 5 hours, before I started trying the "solutions", aside from the odd time where it would only last minutes. It would just have the icon say "unknown remaining" even though it still lasted for a long time. Now it will not work at all without being plugged in, it will immediately shut off, so some "solution" caused all of the problems I have now. I wish I never even said anything at leas my battery would still work without being plugged in for the normal time, the majority of the time, or for a shorter time sometimes. Rather than no hope at all of surviving without being plugged in.

What do we do now that I have completed the tests you suggested I do?

*Also I tried to do a battery test this morning and it said it couldn't do it because there is no battery installed. Just to reiterate, my battery is not removable. I am assuming that something must be wrong with the technology that it is not able to recognize that there is a battery in there, when there is? Especially since it was working okay (aside from just saying it couldnt tell me how much battery life there was, and having a shorter life at randomy times) before I started implenenting "solutions". So how can we revert it back to how it was and then maybe try proper solutions?

HP Recommended

Do a power drain: Unplug the laptop, remove the battery, then open it up and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Once this is done, put the battery back in, then plug in the charger, then turn the computer back on. This may solve the problem...sort of. The "battery not charging" thing happens to me every once in a while on my m17x...but I dont have the "unknown remaining" thing or the "battery not dectected" thing.

Cheers

http://rainierleather.com

HP Recommended

My battery isn't removable. My laptop will not work now unless it is plugged in due to what the hp support has advised me to do. At this point I think it is a technical problem where my laptop is not recognizing that there is a working battery inside of it. Thanks for trying, and other help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I had practically passed through all of the above cure recommendations over and over  last week. Finally at the termination of step 2 of last manual calibration process I attempted, I left the HP Pavilion x360  for several hours to cool down, then made a power drain ie kept the power button pressed for some 60 seconds while the fully cooled and drained internal battery was attached to the computer. And then I passed to  step 3 and plugged in the AC adapter but did not turn on the computer untill the red charging  light  turnd to white ie fully charged and not charging state.  Charging took nearly four hours. Then I turned the machine on an performed battery test which resulted OK. Now all works fine for more than three days; battery  charge status indicator works fine;  I  sometimes observe  6hr 10 min (99%) remaining. I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.