Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Update (Sep 23rd)

Figured out graphic will only switch when the AC is plugged out and the notebooks running on battery. While the battery is in and the ac is plugged in it won't switch. (AC in + Battery out neither.)

How come the it manges to switch only on battery + after closing the game -> a 100% Bluescreen comes.

(I'm sure it tries to switch back to the HD 7650 .. and somehow it does not manage.)

Hi there, hope you guys can figure something out .. so far i tried everything to my knowledge.

First the Specs:

HP ProBook 4540s (C5E12ES), 15.6", Core i5-3210M 2x 2.50GHz, 6GB, 750GB, AMD Radeon HD 7650M 2GB

(integrated HD 4000) (pre-installed OS > SUSE 11)

Current OS: Win 7 Professional 64bit

Problem:

Installed almost all drivers that were offered here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId...

(ofc. for w7 64bit; and they claimed to be working)

But  it never switched to the Radeon HD 7650M no matter what i assigned in the AMD Catalyst (High Performance) + Energy Mode Max Power (also checked the option all were set for max power).

So basically the problem is the discrete Radeon HD 7650M graphics card is never available. I tried disabling in the BIOS the "Switchable Graphics Mode" > causes only that the HD 7650M isn't even visible in the Hardware-Manager + not available + Catalyst shows that it isn't working properly. (+ there is no Option that worked to assign the gpu manually)

Since the system should be a AMD dynamic switchable graphic i can't even download other drivers than those offered by HP (won't work of course...).

>> In Games only the HD 4000 is visible (even when the 7650M is completely disabled games and videos run with HD 4000 >> which tells me so far only that one has been in use (i wanted to clarify that since some think the HD 4000 is supported "in the background" by the discrete gpu -> its not!)

Could it be that there is no driver to handle the 7650M atm? As much as i have read Sony somehow handled that problem for their products with the hardware mentioned above. Also tried removing all drivers and only installing AMD's (not a good idea .. without Intel's HD drivers NOTHING worked - well since only that integrated gpu was doing its job so far).

Oh almost forgot .. somehow the pre-installed BIOS is a newer version than the one offered on the driver-section for the hp 4540s:

Bios Version: 68IRR Ver. F.02, 27.07.2012

SMBIOS: 2.7

If helpful i can provide screen-shots. (Side-Note: Notebook was released like this Month i guess).

Thanks for any advice/help in advance.

Maybe useful References:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Hewlett-Packard/ProBook-4540s/Manual/277780?page=39

(only page 39)

probably useless Info:
Tested the system also with 3d-mark-11 > preset it beforehand to "High Performance" (in Catalyst)  i was astonished how bad the test ran (Results were like 10-20-times "weaker" than the average same gpu (7650M) < also that was the first time i saw that a program used the discrete gpu.

> "Message: The graphics driver was not accepted"  .. i can confirm that.

What also bothers me is the fact that some hardware probably the Intel 4000HD is really buring stable around 122-130°C (though the notebook doesn't feel hot at all - maybe the sensors are nuts...)

speedfan.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Switching problem SOLVED!

Since it switched the graphics on battery mode i new that probably the energy-options could interfere - checked all and found one that blocked switching the graphics:

> Click the Battery > Energy Options (for the current scheme) > enhanced energy options > check ALL entries there are 3 that can conflict with the switching:

> Set the dynamic switchable graphics for battery and ac to automatic
> Set the intel gpu power plan for ac to max performance (or both - if you want)
> Set the ATI Powerplay-Options to max/optimal performance

! Also Check that you have set the application/game to HIGH Performance in your
Catalyst Control Center (+ do not disable the Power Play Option in Catalyst Control Center)

(+ don't forget after switching from balanced to high-power or energy-saving these entries must be set as well)

^ Graphic will switch!

! What remains ... the computer still will bluescreen afterwards (maybe this also can be resolved by playing around with the Energy Options.

!Also keep in mind that applications/games still will show that you can select the HD 4000 only but it does switch to the discrete gpu (7650M HD). Higher FPS + better graphics will also prove that.

Screens to make it easier to understand:

Unbenannt.JPG

adsf2.JPG

sc1.JPG

sc2.JPG

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
HP Recommended
Updated.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem. I´ve bought 4540s with pre-installed Linux and after fresh Windows 7 (64bit) installation I´m not able to switch HD 7650M graphics. 

The only installationable drivers are on HP page, but they don´t work.

There is only 1 setting in bios: "SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS" = no chance to set dynamic or fixed option like in other  HP Notebooks.

Tried older drivers too, but they don´t work. I´m really dissapointed.

HP Recommended

Hi,

yeah .. thats because these AMD dynamic switchable Graphic can only be provided by the producer (hp).

I can tell you i tried everything - beside on battery without ac plugged in, the **bleep** switchable graphics never switched.

Even successfully installed leshcats unifl drivers (updated drivers) ... still the same problem + even worse

(on battery-mode, without ac games/apps tried to switch and crashed at the start.

Rolled back to the HP Drivers  .. same old, atm.

Even so .. the HD 4000 can be used to watch everything and to run every application - even play games but not with high settings.

btw. my Request to this Problem is also up> here<.

btw2. the setting in the bios deactivates only the discrete 7650M

One thing you could try > let your notebook run on battery remove the ac-cable and start a game or something.

(The 7650M HD should kick in -> still after quitting or terminating the game, a blue screen will come).

HP Recommended

Switching problem SOLVED!

Since it switched the graphics on battery mode i new that probably the energy-options could interfere - checked all and found one that blocked switching the graphics:

> Click the Battery > Energy Options (for the current scheme) > enhanced energy options > check ALL entries there are 3 that can conflict with the switching:

> Set the dynamic switchable graphics for battery and ac to automatic
> Set the intel gpu power plan for ac to max performance (or both - if you want)

! Also Check that you have set the application/game to HIGH Performance in your
Catalyst Control Center (+ do not disable the Power Play Option in Catalyst Control Center)

(+ don't forget after switching from balanced to high-power or energy-saving these entries must be set as well)

^ Graphic will switch!

! What remains ... the computer still will bluescreen afterwards (maybe this also can be resolved by playing around with the Energy Options.

!Also keep in mind that applications/games still will show that you can select the HD 4000 only but it does switch to the discrete gpu (7650M HD). Higher FPS + better graphics will also prove that.

Screens to make it easier to understand:

Unbenannt.JPG

adsf2.JPG

sc1.JPG

sc2.JPG

HP Recommended

I have set everything what you wrote, but graphics still doesnt switch (PES 2013 - Demo). 😞

My graphics doesnt switch on baterry mode...

And sreens dont work..

edit: screens work right now.

I dont have optimal option 😄

http://s7.postimage.org/47ol5eqnv/Bez_n_zvu.png

1) Maximum battery life

2) maximum performance

HP Recommended

Hi,

don't mind what i said about the battery mode (it was just set that way in my settings). -> Keep the AC pluggend in (with or without battery).

You have to be sure to set those 3 Options in the advanced energy-options right
 -> like in the screens (German language).

I can't tell exactly what it is called in your language (polish?).

the 3 Options: (just set them that they maximize power not battery life)

> Set the dynamic switchable graphics for battery and ac to automatic (VERY IMPORTANT)

^ see the screens above

(in my screens its maybe called differntly - your's must be maximalni vykon)

+ the game must be set for high performance (High Performance) if not already set by the Catalyst Control Center

+ do not disable Power Play (* see screen above) < also set Power Play to MAX POWER if not already set

+ do not disable in the Bios the switchable graphics

Just repeating myself the most important is that the dynamic switchable graphics are set to automatical in the advanced energy Options + also the other options mentioned to High/Max Power (whatever it is called for better Performance).

Good Luck!

If it still does not work you can ask me for support via. Team Viewer (= Remote Desktop Support) - if you like.

btw. also remember the Game will still only show the HD 4000 but run on the 7650M HD (you will notice the difference when settings are set to high and it runs smoothly)

HP Recommended

Update: Bluescreen Problem solved.

Cause: installed the offered INTEL HD Graphic drivers and the AMD Catalyst (see hp 4540 drivers > graphic)

-> this caused the bluescreen while switching back!

A common sign would be for that was maybe "igfext.exe crashed ...

Solution: Uninstall both driver the Intel HD and the AMD Catalyst driver (make sure they are gone for good!)

Reinstall afterwards only the AMD Catalyst Drivers (in the process select all of its components - i guess it installs all without choosing ..)

-> Result afterwards: NO CRASHES clean switching back to the HD 4000.

/END

HP Recommended

Still doesnt work... I did everything as you wrote. My BIOS version is F.01, I dont understand why. Its the newest due to HP page.

Can you do this please: when your HD 7650M is running, press WIN+R and type "dxdiag" .
Is 7650M displayed there?

Thank you a lot.

HP Recommended

That sucks ... : /

I'm not sure if the bios update could help but just as stated mine is F.02 (notebook bought like 4 days ago in Austria).

I ran Super Street Fighter IV (ofc. running on the 7650M HD) - in dxdiag it only displayed the HD 4000 (while running the game). < on the 7650M the games-benchmark indicates 60FPS (on VERY HIGH Settings) with the HD 4000 it manages barely 15-20 FPS)

Also Skyrim shows only the HD 4000 but it runs on the 7650M (settings on the screen can be set even higher and played fluildly (28 FPS).

I've read in the bios - that the bios update is quite easy. Put it on some Partition ... and ... (can't remember) but its written in the bios -> F10 at startup -> Bios Update -> F1 = Help and the description.

I still have a Hewlett-Packard-Tools on my Hard drive - they contained BIOS Update's i have never update'd

myself. If you want i can upload it. (still can't tell which bios is in the Folder ... but i guess it must be the F.02 - before updating it should be displayed anyway). Size = 12 MB

! but maybe this updated automatically by powering up the notebook the first time and running LINUX SUSE 11 (took quite a while...)

---

If you have set your Energyoptions all to MAX Performance (and i know you have) + the set the Catalyst Center to High Performance + the Application (Game) it should switch (= at least run on the 7650M).

Not sure if it is because of the bios update ... but all say that its important to have the newest one, i also

did not understand why on the driver page not F.02 is offered.

---

Some Screenshots:

capture_002_25092012_143336.jpg

capture_004_25092012_143413.jpg

capture_005_25092012_143511.jpg

asdf.JPG

(Even when it is set to run dxdiag High Performance it will not show the 7650M).

----

My exact notebook specs:

specs.JPG

* just plugged the Notebook via HDMI to my TV, ran Skyrim on high Settings 1920x1080 with 2x AA - smoothyl

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.