Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-g011st
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I am using Hp laptop 15-g011st and it's recovery part is for win 8. So is there any option to update it from win 8 to win 10? December 31 is the last day for this update.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No you cannot convert the recovery partition to Windows 10. However, Windows 10 is a free download from Microsoft so you can always do a fresh reinstall for free and Windows 10 has several built in backup and recovery tools that are actually superior to a recovery partition. The recovery partition can ONLY restore to out of the box state but the Windows system image backup and restore option will let you make a recovery medium that will reinstall apps and settings and can be incrementally updated so you always have a current image. This is how power users back up their computers. Factory recovery is a much inferior option. Post back with any more questions. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

No you cannot convert the recovery partition to Windows 10. However, Windows 10 is a free download from Microsoft so you can always do a fresh reinstall for free and Windows 10 has several built in backup and recovery tools that are actually superior to a recovery partition. The recovery partition can ONLY restore to out of the box state but the Windows system image backup and restore option will let you make a recovery medium that will reinstall apps and settings and can be incrementally updated so you always have a current image. This is how power users back up their computers. Factory recovery is a much inferior option. Post back with any more questions. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Thank you for your advice in #2 but would you please make more guidance for the situations you have explained in #2, which I feel that would be better. Is the site you imply this one :https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Now, should I click "download tool" buton and dowload that tool to upgrade to win 10?

Thank you.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I need to know a bit more about your situation. What is the significance of the December 31 deadline? I am not aware of any such deadline out there. Have you had Windows 10 before? Do you need a Windows 10 license? 

HP Recommended

I have the original hp recovery part,  so this means I have a original windows, as windows 8. Does this mean not I have a windows license? As far as I know, old version windows users such as xp, win 7, win 8 can upgrade to windows 10 by free until december 31.  This might be possible because I know one of my friends having an HP laptop with win 8 upgraded to win 10.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/258161-microsoft-will-end-final-free-windows-10-upgrade-progra...

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Since July 31, 2016 the only way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free is if you need assistance like you are blind or deaf. If that is true, yes you can still do the Windows 10 free upgrade. I tried to do it about a year ago for a friend who actually needed assistance and the special site for this upgrade just would not work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.