Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 17–g204cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm helping a friend who lives two states (12 hours) from me. She found her laptop is pending an update from Windows 10 ver 1607 to ver 1703. However, the alert says, "These programs need to be uninstalled because they aren't compatible with the upgrade: HP Pavilion Notebook–BIOS needs to be upgraded before you can upgrade to Windows 10."

It seems to me that we don't need to uninstall anything—we simply need to upgrade the BIOS ... right? Two questions—

1. I searched for a BIOS upgrade for this machine on the HP Support site, but I found nothing. I'll assume we can upgrade the BIOS nonetheless. Can someone kindly point me to how to do this, please.
  2. The upgrade notice that I've quoted above includes a button labeled, "Uninstall and continue." What will happen if I click on that button? Am I safe to assume that it won't actually uninstall anything ... that it will in fact upgrade the BIOS?

You must understand that I'm an Apple Mac guy with experience in Windows, but I've never tried to upgrade the BIOS, certainly not in Windows 10. I'll appreciate any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have the AMD A10-8700p CPU and it cannot run the Creators Windows 10 build 1703 without the latest BIOS. 

Here they are:

run them from within Windows 10 and reboot....they try the update to the 1703 Buld again and it should work:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80001-80500/sp80252.exe

This is BIOS F.45 rev A. You might go into HP Support Assistant and check your existing BIOS version just to be sure it is a lower number than F.45. 

Yes, installing these BIOS will uninstall the old BIOS as far as the Microsoft Update program and it ambiguous wording is concerned. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You have the AMD A10-8700p CPU and it cannot run the Creators Windows 10 build 1703 without the latest BIOS. 

Here they are:

run them from within Windows 10 and reboot....they try the update to the 1703 Buld again and it should work:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80001-80500/sp80252.exe

This is BIOS F.45 rev A. You might go into HP Support Assistant and check your existing BIOS version just to be sure it is a lower number than F.45. 

Yes, installing these BIOS will uninstall the old BIOS as far as the Microsoft Update program and it ambiguous wording is concerned. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! We got her BIOS fixed, and last time I looked, her computer was downloading the Creators Update.

HP Recommended

I was having the same exact issue and this fixed my problem.  I was able to upgrade after upgrading my BIOS with link provided.  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.