Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Rbrian1 wrote:
... after updating, the Synaptics panel worked, but two-finger tap to right-click didn't - it needed the registry to be edited. Now everything works!

When I get back to my laptop, I'll find the instructions and paste a link - or you could just Google it like I did. Have a USB mouse ready, you'll need it for a few minutes at the start.

Link please! I have the same two-finger tap to right-click problem on my HP Stream 11!

HP Recommended

Depends on how you're installing Windows 10.

If you do a clean install on Windows 10 from an ISO wiping out / zero out the partitions and do a clean install, the Wifi driver that's built into the ISO limits the reception of the Wifi adapter and also the touch pad does not work.

What's best is to burn the Windows 10 image to a DVD and clean out all the junk you don't need. Since the installation media won't be stored on the local disc, you have more space to complete the install process. 

If you install from the HDD using the USB / DVD download tool, then I could see the error message. 

Best way to "Upgrade" is to create the ISO image, back up your files, do a recovery on the HDD and remove everything except the Intel items that are listed in the Control Panel.  (Don't delete the Synaptics Touchpad Driver that's a no-no) 

Keep the Broadcom drivers loaded too and don't remove those.

Once you have gotten the system as squeaky clean as you can and removed all the junk / bloat from the Start Tile Menu, then connect an external USB DVD Drive to the unit and start the install process. Choose Upgrade and Keep your files and it should not take that long, When you're done you'll have a very pleasant experience and everything will work. 

HP Recommended
http://youtu.be/QUaKrOVScIE

Here's the video I found which shows how to edit the registry to fix the touchpad. It's surprisingly easy to fix, but I did have to restart twice (possibly I forgot something the first time).
HP Recommended

Sorry -- I'm pretty techy, but that's a lot of Greek to me.

I don't see an option to download Win 10 to a DVD.  It is running through the Win 10 upgrade App.

I have an HP Stream 13 that is telling me that  I need 4.54GB of space, or an external drive with 9GB of space.  I have a 16GB flash drive plugged in, but I won't use that out of principle.  This computer was sold under the pretense that it was Win 10 compatiable and I refuse to believe that I need a FLASH DRIVE to run the OS. I've already deleted Skype (a benefit that came with the computer, mind you), and anything I don't need, plus I ran Disk Cleanup tools.

I had to run a lot of updates to even get the dumb Win 10 app to run, so if I have to wipe the HDD clean and start over, I will be, in the words of Prince Humperdink, "very put out".

I did try to call HP tonight.  After 20 minutes (10 minute wait, HA!), I hung up.

HP Recommended

You have to use the Windows 10 ISO download tool to create media suitable for burning to a disk. But I did wipe the partitions clean via a third party bootable partition and then recovered using Windows 8.1 Recovery USB Drive and then removed all the HP stuff that was loaded on the computer (The only things that remained in programs and features were the Broadcom References, Synaptics Touch Pad and the Intel driver stuff)

After doing the upgrade and running Disk Cleanup I had 18GB free space which is plenty. I'm using the HP Stream Laptop as a gaming machine. It can be done if you have a USB 3.0 external drive and you load your games to it. I got a bunch of HP products just recently (1TB External HDD, New HP Keyboard and Wireless Mouse, and even their 2.1 Speaker System) and I'm going to do a review of it soon and tell people how they can turn it into a gaming machine.

Now I know people are scratching their head.... But I owned a computer with another brand name, and it had the Nvidia Geforce 8400M Graphics Card, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz processor and I swear this HP Stream kicks the pants off of that competitors computer hands down graphics and gaming wise.

HP Recommended

I just spoke to a HP rep on chat support, who told me that the Win 10 upgrade needs 20GB of space.  The Stream 13 only has 16GB on it, so it was always meant to run on an external drive.

My mind is boggled.  

An OS running on a flash drive.

I now have to decide if I'm going to return the product.  

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Not true..... I upgraded the Stream 11.6 with 32gb of space after wiping the paritions. I think I had 15gb of space left and the upgrade was no problem.

You can wipe out the partitions and do a clean install. Keep in mind that doing these things may void warranty or do other things. If 16GB is not enough storage for you, you may wish to return it.

I like the HP laptop / tablet hybrids that have the ability to fold the keyboard and laptop screen and turn it into a tablet.

HP Recommended

Nope, simplest route is to do a recovery under Windows 8.1 - Settings then Update Recovery then Restore is the command sequence, IIRC. Do NOT retain any of your old files or settings (which assumes you have backed up to OneDrive, DropBox, Google, etc.) 

First thing after logging into your scrubbed machine is to go to Settings then Update Recovery then TURN OFF automatic updates, otherwise the first thing Windows will do is reinstall space-hogging updates. If you aren't sure how to do this, and need time, unplug your WiFi router after the initial set up, then plug it back in after turning off automatic Windows updates (you want "Tell me when updates are available but let me decide when to download and install them" - NOT "download but let me decide when to install" or merely downloading will suck away your needed space).

Now go to Windows Media Creator and download the install tool for 64gb only:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Your installation should go fine without need of an SD card OR USB. If for some reason it does request additional storage, insert a 16gb SD or USB and follow the instructions in the Tool. Post install, either use Disk Cleanup (tricky for some users) to delete the old install files and Win 8.1 backup, OR just do a Settings / Update Recover / Restore, don't keep my files to delete the old Win 8.1 media. You can also use File Explorer after this step to confirm your SD or USB is now empty again, otherwise simply format it.

NOTE: when I first booted up my Stream 11 last week (refurb from Groupon) the first message I got was "Would you like to upgrade to Win 10 now" and you may or may not get a similar first-boot message from your Stream 13 when you Restore it. You still need to use Disk Cleanup to recover space post-install.

Good luck. If any of this is hard to follow, find a friend who knows their way around Windows and let him or her read this message. 

HP Recommended

Oh also - Win 10 won't run on the flash drive. The installation tool, if it needs extra space, just dumps your 8.1 system there in case you want to rollback to 8.1. The actual Win 10 installation is in the normal place, on your built-in SSD. It's trying to keep TWO entire installations - active Win 10 and 8.1 in reserve - that requires the external storage, temporarily. 

@CMCMom29 wrote:

I just spoke to a HP rep on chat support, who told me that the Win 10 upgrade needs 20GB of space.  The Stream 13 only has 16GB on it, so it was always meant to run on an external drive.

My mind is boggled.  

An OS running on a flash drive.

I now have to decide if I'm going to return the product.  

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I did the upgrade over the weekend on my Daughters machine.

At first I tried a USB flash drive I'd created on another computer but it got to a point that was asking me for a CD-Key (which I didn't have) so was a no go.  I figured maybe I'd done something wrong so I thought I would use the built in upgrade icon in the system tray but it has disappeared (or maybe it was never there??).  In any case, doing the Windows upgrades saw it pop up.

The upgrade icon told me I could reserve a copy but wouldn't let me install.

I then downloaded the media creation tool thinking I would re-create my install USB, I accidently clicked the "upgrade this computer" and there was no way to cancel out of that so I let it run.

I did hit the space problem and even though I gave it a drive with plenty of free space it still wanted a couple of extra GB.  I then un-installed Office 365 and BAM, problem solved and away it went.  I told it not to keep any files or settings.

It rebooted a few times and managed to find it's way through the install and all was working on the other side.  What I found very interesting was that there were no additional files left on the SD card I pointed at for extra space.  It also deleted (or resized down to about 500MB) the restore partition leaving me with more free space.

On it's first boot the machine did seem to re-install all it's drivers with the touch pad not working, bluetooth not working at first.  It chugged away and eventually everything came good.  I can't comment on the touchpad and it's two finger clicking yet because we use a bluetooth mouse I haven't tested it.

Disk Cleanup got rid of the old Windows 8.1 files and away we go.

This machine isn't used for much more than web browsing and writing documents for school homework so not too much at all.  But in the day or so she's been using it we haven't hit any problems.  After all the reading around the web I thought this was going to be a struggle, but it turns out that other than freeing up enough space to let it run, it was pretty straight forward.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.