Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

But can you add how to use the external drive? I follow prompts and once in eight tries got going on my HP external drive, but it still eventually told me even after I had taken off all apps but ableword and all documents and downloads that I still needed 3 more gigabytes to install 10. So what do I gain from 10? Does it use less memory if I eventually get it installed?

HP Recommended

Here is the trick. You must remove all apps from the control panel except the Wifi , Intel based software. When you run the Win 10 install program, don't check for updates. The updated installer apparently prevents the install of this OS on that device if it does not calculate the right HDD space. Just proceed without checking for updates and install as normal.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Stream 11. It replaces a Thinkpad X61 which I had for many years but finally died with repair cost far more than value. I bought the Stream for travel and away from home, and for its size and weight, and understanding the limitations of its on board storage. Its primary uses for me are web access and email. The Windows 10 upgrade went fine. When the November update came out, Windows 10 is unable to update with the space limitations of this machine. During the update process W10 can use a flash drive or SD disk (at least 16 GB) for its temporary and recovery files. It comes to a point however where it needs more space on the C drive itself, which is 20.89 GB as HP has formatted it. With only a few apps totaling a few hundred MB outside of Windows,  there is only 4 GB of available space and W10 wants 6.67. HP's recovery partition has 7.37 GB, and has nothing in it according to Disk Mgt. HP Tech says that partition is used to recover to W8 and cannot be reallocated. Microsoft says unless that partition can be re-allocated to the C drive, W10 cannot update on this machine now or in the future. HP Tech is trying to find a solution, but to me it appears that reverting to Windows 8.1 and staying there is the solution for my purposes. I do use an SD card for storing all data, so there is nothing on the machine that I need to save.

If HP Tech finds me a solution, I will update here. Otherwise I will ask for a refund as the machine came with assurance that it would upgrade and run Windows 10.

For the person installing an iso image and needing the product key, if the c disk has not been wiped, Microsoft can help you recover the 8.1 key which they say will allow you to clean install W10. Otherwise, they say buy a key.

HP Recommended

You don't need to manually write down the old Windows 8.1 license key from the Stream 11; it is encrypted in the Secure Bios and survives a repartitioning and reinstallation. In fact, that's what I had to do to reclaim some "hidden" partition space HP was using to store junkware programs. First I made the Media Installation USB using the Windows tool that Microsoft provides. Then I did a clean install after booting from the install USB. Then I went into the partition manager that is part of the install tools, and wiped the disk clean. Then I let the USB do a clean install of Windows. The only hiccup was the install tool asking, several times, for my license key, but I always selected "provide later." When the installation was complete and the system when through the normal "new user" install sequence, it didn't ask for the license key. So the license key is something the installation only "discovers" for itself once installation is completed.

I would give you detailed instructions but I didn't keep notes and just muddled through. I highly recommend you find someone who is familiar with Windows rather than doing this yourself. It was really easy, but it's like a high school exam, you have to read all the (multiple choice) options before selecting the right one, and the right one isn't necessarily the obvious one - you have to read carefully. Fortunately it's impossible to screw up your machine if you choose the wrong options and install onto your existing partition space - you just will come up about 4-5gb short on storage space.

HP Recommended

That's interesting and useful. Both Microsoft and HP have told me that I cannot get rid of the HP partitions on the SSD hard drive. But it sounds like I can! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Technically, these partitions can be wiped, but only if you created backup media, second you have successfully upgraded to Win10 from 8.1 AND...... You have an install media that you boot from using the Windows 10 boot disc. 

You don't need a key to install Windows 10 cleanly if its already on your machine. Just skip enterting the key.

HP Recommended

My understanding is that you can't wipe the recovery partition when you're using Windows 8.1 because the system activcely uses some files FROM that partition in every day running.  I suppose on space restricted machines this makes some sense rather than doubling up on files.

BUT (and as I said a few months back) the Windows 10 upgrade process seems to have automagically resized the old (and now redundant) Windows 8.1 recovery partition down to only about 500mb.  I suppose I could go and delete it now but I haven't bothered looking at it.

NOTE:  You will need to (or should) create a new Windows 10 recover media for this machine, although once it's been installed once you cna just use the media creation tool on another machine to make a new USB installer and run through a clean install.  (my understanding is that you need to have run through the upgrade process once to make MS recognise it as a Windows 10 eligible machine, although that requirement may have changed since I did mine).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

It would depend on how much space is there on your Stream. Windows have some System Requirements here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-specifications

When I updated my Stream, it took a while to install and no driver faults

Regards

Please click “Accept as Solution" if I solve your Problem
HP Recommended

Have you managed to install the Windows 10 Anniversary update?

I am having real problems with this. I have tried with a large Flash drive but nothing works. HP have told me that it can't be updated so I should stick with the older version of Windows 10!

If you have done it I would be interested to hear how it was done.

It is a pity HP don't provide a storage update. The machoine has a solid state drive so it would be relatively cheap and easy to upgrade it.

HP Recommended

Technically it is not Solild State, it is eMMC, a technology similar to the performance of memory card readers.

If you already have Windows 10 on the unit, the thing to do is find a Windows 10 Anniversary ISO from a direct link on Microsoft's website (I don't know if forums allow me to post those links but they are out there)

Burn your ISO and do a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary erasing all partitions. Your Reset This PC function becomes your recovery partition should you have problems.

A bit of warning though. You may not have mouse control when you do a clean install, you will need to plug in a USB mouse into the drive. Also, the Wifi Driver has very limited Wifi distance, connect to a nearby wifi spot and update the Wifi driver to solve the range issue. 

HP no longer supports Encrypted drive due to the way this build of Windows changes driver signing policies so you may see some things in Device Manager that Windows Update will not install for the drivers. You can leave these alone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.