Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

An elder 8460p - it now has windows7 and a HDD, 8 GB of RAM. - would like to know if there is any point in uppgrading it with a solid state drive and installing windows 10 on that? Or Windows 8.1?

Am I going to have troubles with missing drivers?  
  Can the HDD be made an image of on the SSD? i.e. keep the OS etc. 
  Does this old laptop deserve an uppgrade? 

Appreaciate any opinion. 

ilkka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello.

Yes this is do able if you want to image all the ihhnformation from the hardrive to the new ssd i would recommend  macrium reflect free edition a quick google search should get you to it, this tool is a good piece of cloning software,

Yeah HP Elitebook 8460p can be upgraded to 8.1 and 10 but 10 is better because 8 was made for computers that have touchscreen. Your laptop will feel a lot faster with an ssd installed, My opinnion i would take all of my files of the hradrive and do a fresh install of windows 10 on the ssd for best performance.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello.

Yes this is do able if you want to image all the ihhnformation from the hardrive to the new ssd i would recommend  macrium reflect free edition a quick google search should get you to it, this tool is a good piece of cloning software,

Yeah HP Elitebook 8460p can be upgraded to 8.1 and 10 but 10 is better because 8 was made for computers that have touchscreen. Your laptop will feel a lot faster with an ssd installed, My opinnion i would take all of my files of the hradrive and do a fresh install of windows 10 on the ssd for best performance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.