Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
A few days ago I had to format my laptop, due to some technical issues. But, I lost the windows key. How to reinstall Windows 10 and activate it.  I have product details. How to track and get the details for Windows 10 which had come along with my laptop when purchased on December 15, 2015.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook came with W10 from HP, the product key is in the BIOS.

You don't need it to reinstall W10.

You can use the Media creation tool to create a bootable USB installer to reinstall W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If your notebook was made in 2016 or later, it may be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool, which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook came with W10 from HP, the product key is in the BIOS.

You don't need it to reinstall W10.

You can use the Media creation tool to create a bootable USB installer to reinstall W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If your notebook was made in 2016 or later, it may be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool, which you can use to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot.

I myself resolved the issue with your tip  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.