Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop Thin HDD 500GB
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a used HP laptop hard drive for upgrading my Lenovo G550 with CPU ugraded with Intel T9300 DUO CORE 2.50ghz

(HP Hard Drive: Laptop Thin HDD 500GB SERIAL ATA DISC DRIVE S/N W627S9NL P/N 756731-001 MFG Seagate Technologies DOM 8/2015) 

I was happy to see that the hatd drive had Windows 7 already installed because I had already bought a separate legitimate Windows 10 Pro License Key for the upgrade. I was able to go online and download the Windows 10 upgrade and used my purchased legitimate license key to activate my the upgrade. 

While doing the installation there was some HP software that was still on the HD. I thought it would be good to have some extra security protocols, so I also installed the WinMagic Securedoc Bootloader v1.2.12 and registered the HP Drive Encryption  with password and Security Questions for secondary access.

The Windows 10 was activated and all looked great. But when I restarted the laptop I put in my password for windows and then it goes to this HP Drive Encryption Screen comes up. I put in the password and it's accepted - and then the screen goes blank...not off..just blank with a flashing cursor that doesbn't react to inputs.

I tried leaving it on for a day or so, and still nothing.  There's nothing I can change in BIOS Setup that works so far.

I've also tried downloading Reimage on USB and re-setting the boot sequence but no good. Even tried a boot disc, but nothing there either. I will try again.

I don't know where to go or how to get past the HP Encryption Screen.  I am pretty good at following directions, I don't know coding, but can do whatever you suggest to help me correct this problem.

Can you help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry ... I missed the part about you having a Win10 license.  I thought you were trying to activate 10 using the HP OEM license and that was causing problems.

I don't use the HP encryption apps -- as personally, having recently finished a career in InfoSec, I find the whole emphasis on encryption of PCs to be laughable -- but my guess is that you're basically out of luck.

If it were my drive, I would WIPE the drive of all its contents and then install Win10 afresh.  A good product for doing that is DBan:  http://tiptopsecurity.com/how-to-securely-wipe-your-hard-drive-with-dban-erase-your-data-for-good/

Once your drive is clean, then just install Win10 on it.

That said, with any luck, one of the HP EXPERTS will probably come along and tell you how to bypass their encryption.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

UFOvapster

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Windows licenses that come with HP machines are tied to the original machine and are NOT transferrable. 

This means you can not legally use the copy of Windows that is resident on that used drive that came from another HP machine.

HP Recommended

NO, you don't understand.

I did NOT buy the HP laptop hard drive with a license.   I bought the HP laptopo hard drive from one person on e Bay, and I bought a legitimate Windows 10 key from another. Everthing came up perfect until I tried to get back on after rebooting.

The windows license key had nothing to do with the hard drive. It was a completely separate transaction that could be applied to one pc or laptop. I applied it to the hdd i bought.  It went through fine after the download and upgrade to WINDOWS 10 PRO -  when it asked for a license key I entered the legitimate key I paid for and activated windows 10 .

my problem is listed in my previous entry. please re-read it carefully and help me get past this HP ENCRYPTION PAGE SCREEN. WHEN I ENTER MY PASSWORD ON THE HP ENCRYPTPON SCREEN WHICH I SET UP DURING MY SET UP of the hp encryption software, MY  HP PASSWORD IS ACCEPTED BUT THEN  SCREEN GOES TO A BLANK SCREEN AS IF IT IS TRANSFERRING TO ANOTHER SCREEN AND  STAYS STUCK THERE.   

HP Recommended

Could it be a conflicy in the BIOS? I am just throwing that out there to see what else could be causuing my problem with getting past the HP ENCRYPTION SCREEN LOGIN....

HP Recommended

Sorry ... I missed the part about you having a Win10 license.  I thought you were trying to activate 10 using the HP OEM license and that was causing problems.

I don't use the HP encryption apps -- as personally, having recently finished a career in InfoSec, I find the whole emphasis on encryption of PCs to be laughable -- but my guess is that you're basically out of luck.

If it were my drive, I would WIPE the drive of all its contents and then install Win10 afresh.  A good product for doing that is DBan:  http://tiptopsecurity.com/how-to-securely-wipe-your-hard-drive-with-dban-erase-your-data-for-good/

Once your drive is clean, then just install Win10 on it.

That said, with any luck, one of the HP EXPERTS will probably come along and tell you how to bypass their encryption.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the updated reply. Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, and I'll take your advice under consideration depending on what the HP guys can come up with a work around to even get into the drive at this point...

But I do appreciate the input.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that I might still be able to avoid that.

Good luck to you and your future.

Thanks again... 

HP Recommended

Took your advice and formatted the HDD and started over without all that HP crap software on it, and it's working beautifully now...after installing Windows 10 a total of 3 times on it.  And my purchased legit Win 10 key worked just fine activating 10 on the l.aptop.

Thanks again. 

Remember:  QUESTION AUTHORITY - IT IS THE RIGHT AND RESPONSIBILITY OF EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN TO DO SO IN A FREE SOCIETY. TO OPT OUT OF DOING SO MEANS HANDING OVER THE  KEYS TO YOUR CIVIL LIBERTIES AND FREEDOM TO THOSE WHO WOULD MAKE YOU THEIR SLAVES.  DO YOU FEEL LIKE A SLAVE?   IF YOU ARE IN DEBT THEN YOU ARE THEIR SLAVE. REMEMBER THAT.

HP Recommended

UFOVapster

Glad to see you got it working again!

HP Recommended

Copied from HP Probook 430 freezes after entering HP drive encryption password

My solution depends on you have the same symptom as mine. I have a HP ZBook 14 G2 Workstation laptop. It has been recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit via the Microsoft's free Windows 10 upgrade program. All the Windows 10 64-bit drivers are updated by the HP SoftPaq Manager.

My problem started with HP Drive Encryption 8.6.23.46 feature right after I tried to complete the HP Client Security Manager 8.3.17.2042 setup where it asked for my fingerprint scans and my challenge passwords and lastly my confirmation to enable HD Drive Encryption feature. At this point it asked me to restart. I hadn't enrypted the HDD yet. I did this to avoid the constantly nagging HP Client Security Manager bubble asking me to install its browser plugin which eventually it didn't work correctly on the Chrome browser as the browser didn't support NPAPI feature anymore.

When the laptop rebooted, it sent me to the WinMagic pre-boot security password/fingerprint scan login page. I complied by performing the fingerprint scan and it successfully allowed me to pass through to its bootloader page ("WinMagic SecureDoc Bootloader" sentence showed up at the top left corner of the black screen page). Then it just stopped there doing nothing other than a caret cursor blinked continuously on the black screen. I waited and waited but it appeared to not be able to boot into Windows 10.

So, I decided to use the Windows 10 Creation Tool  booted from my USB pen drive to repair my Windows 10 boot problem by clicking on the "repair computer" link in the tool. It displayed the Windows 10 troubleshoot options where I chosed to run from the Command Line Prompt. In the Command Line prompt, I verified my Windows 10 partition was OK as it appeared on a virtual disk drive (E: drive instead of C: drive), unencrypted. Since I was suspecting my Windows 10 boot and BCD were corrupted, I ran the following commands to recover the Windows 10 boot and BCD:

E:\>bootrec /fixmbr
E:\>bootrec /fixboot 
E:\>bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then I rebooted my laptop and luckily, Windows 10 login screen appeared to accept any of the security login authentication approaches that I had set up previously in the HP Client Security Manager application. Since my Windows 10 partition hadn't been encrypted, I decided to leave it as it was.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your posting. It had been so long since I had posted my dilema here I had forgotten all about it. I was able to finally get around it by having to reformat my drive and reload windows 10 from scratch. I believe I tried something similar to your solution after receiving similar advice on another forum, and by that yime I was thouroghly disgusted with my self-imposed laptop limbo situation. I thought I could keep the extra layer of HP security when I found it on the HD I had bought 2nd hand. It looked and sounded cool from what I could gather, but I didn't realize at the time the program was HP HDD specific, and since my laptop was a Lenovo and not HP the HD went into a tizzy, and then remained in "nightmare mode" with no way of waking up from it. So I decided to start from scratch before I ended up throwing it out of a window. Overall that was the smart thing to do, but not quite as satisfying considering all the anger and frustration it had caused me. And there was no broken pieces to pick up, and no follow up self-degrading guilt trip to deal with either, so I guess you could say I came out ahead on this one....

If it had neen an HP laptop and having this problem I can assure the outcome would have been a lot different...and probably a little more satisfying for a brief moment in time....

I appreciate your input and am grateful for your posting and gelp. I hope it will help the next person with this problem.

Have a great year...

Casey

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.