Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought a supposidly "refurbished" EliteBook 8460p,  which I have had endless problems with. One was that it came without a new Product Key for a "Microsoft Approved refurbished computer."

The retailer of the computer told me to use the original Product Key located under the battery. That worked for a while, until I started getting messages from Microsoft saying the product key was "invalid." After a while the message changed to "You are the victim of unauthorized software."

The computer retailers "solution" was to send me for free a Windows 10 PRO Disk (Version 1607), which installed and easily connected to the Comcast gateway (Arris TG862), but it became clear that Windows 10 was "not working properly on this computer. (Product # SN246UP#ABA)

I tried getting help from the "Microsoft Community" and got two decidely different solutions/opinions.

The first was the proplems I experience could be resolved by editing the registry. I asked for instructions, followed them to the letter, but that did NOT resolve the problems, especially that the "defragment and optimize" the hard drive did not work properly.

The second opinion, by someone who seemed to know the Elitebook 8460p "inside and out," was that this machine would never work properly with Windows 10 (build 1607) installed, and that I should revert back to Windows 7 PRO 64bit, using the HP supplied restore media (a flashdrive) I had, and then I would have to connect the computer to the Comcast gateway/router by Ethernet cable to get back all the Microsoft updates and the HP driver for the 3.0 USB ports, which did not work either when I received the computer.

(When I used the the Windows 10 PRO 64 bit disk they sent me, I chose the "Do Not Save Anything" option, so the restore media was the only option for going back to Windows 7 PRO 64 bit. )

As he told me, and as I expected, after doing the "factory restore" the EliteBook 8460p would not "connect" wirelessly to the Comcast gateway/router, but I have tried everything I can think of to connect the computer by Cat 5e cable to the Comcast Arris TG862 gateway and nothing works either.

I have tried both the "connect to the internet" function in the control panel, but NO "Local LAN connection" is available, as shown in Comcast's instructions, and opening the Internet Explorer browser and using the 10.0.0.1 address, also given in Comcast's instructions; that does not work either.

Possibly because the version of the Internet Explorer browser, after the restoration, is so obsolete? (I do not know.)

With all of the above said, is there any way I can get all of the Microsoft Updates (including Service Pack 1) after using the HP supplied restore media, or do I have to give up on this computer?  (Which was working fine after I downloaded the HP driver for the 3.0 USB ports until Microsoft said the Windows 7 Product Key was invalid, and the computer's seller told me to install Windows 10 (build 1607) )

If there is a way to get the necessary "updates" for Windows 7 PRO 64 bit, and the "HP drivers?"

If there is, can someone please tell me how, with pretty detailed instructions,  because the "general" instructions I have gotten from the Comcast website for connecting by wire (Ethernet) to the Comcast "gateway" ( Arris TG862 ) do not seem to work for this computer, after I used the HP restore flash drive.

Thank you for any help you can be to me.

Sincerely, alan150

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Alan:

Here are the links to the drivers you need in the order you posted the ID's.  You can install in any order you want.

Base System Device

The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver enables the integrated media card slot on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52344.exe

PCI Serial Port &  PCI Simple Communications Controller

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Management Engine Interface enables communication between the host operating system and the Intel Management Engine firmware.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55757.exe

USB\VID_138A

This package contains the driver that enables the Validity Fingerprint Sensor in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The fingerprint sensor scans fingerprints for use with biometric security applications.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66915.exe

ACPI\HPQ0004

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook is accidentally bumped or dropped.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can download the standalone SP1 download from the link below.

The next to the last file at the bottom (after you click on the download button) is for W7 64 bit.

Transfer the file to a usb flash drive and run it from there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

You can find all of the drivers and available software you need from the link below.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5056943&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

If you don't know what drivers you need for the devices shown in the device manager with little ! marks, use this guide for how to find the hardware ID.

You can either post the hardware ID's you need drivers for and I will post the links to the drivers you need, or you can google the hardware ID's and find the drivers yourself on the support page.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

You can download the standalone SP1 download from the link below.

The next to the last file at the bottom (after you click on the download button) is for W7 64 bit.

Transfer the file to a usb flash drive and run it from there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

You can find all of the drivers and available software you need from the link below.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5056943&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

If you don't know what drivers you need for the devices shown in the device manager with little ! marks, use this guide for how to find the hardware ID.

You can either post the hardware ID's you need drivers for and I will post the links to the drivers you need, or you can google the hardware ID's and find the drivers yourself on the support page.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Regarding the stand alone version of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. I have several questions.

1. I was reading a Microsoft "page" about how to get Windows 7 - service Pack 1 yesterday, and I got the impression that there were several updates preceeding SP1 that should be installed first. If I put SP1 on a flash drive and install it from that flash drive to the EliteBook 8460p will I eventually be able to get those updates too and after installing SP1 will the Elitebook connect to the internet, so that I can get things like Explorer 11?

2. I'm pretty sure I know how to go to the link you sent me and download the "stand alone" version of Windows 7 PRO 64 bit Service Pack 1  to a new flash drive; using this laptop I am using now. (an old Toshiba)

I'm not sure I know how to install it "into Windows" after inserting it into the USB port on the right side of the EliteBook 8460p, which from experience, I know is the USB port that will work until I can download the Renasis driver for the 3.0 USB ports on the left hand side of the computer.

Once I have it on a flash/thumb drive can you tell me how to install it into Windows 7?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Alan150

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There are no prerequisites required to install SP1.

As a matter of fact, that is the very first thing I do after installing W7.  I go right to installing SP1.

If you copy the downloaded file to your flash drive...again this is the one you want for 64 bit...

windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

903.2 MB

Just plug the flash drive into your 8460p, and double click to run the file, and it will install in about an hour or less.

Then let Windows Update run and install the 200+ updates to W7 that will show up.  Internet Explorer 11 will be one of those updates, but some prerequisite updates will install before you can install IE 11.

If Windows Update keeps searching for updates, read the info at the link below for how to fix that problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-problems-read-th...

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.

Regarding the problem of connecting to the internet via Comcast gateway Arris TG862 (the only device I have access to) Once I download SP1 from another computer and install it into the EliteBook 8460p, do you think that then the EliteBook 8460p  will then connect to this Comcast router?

Would you recomend trying to do it first via the number one Ethernet port via an Ethernet Cable, or just see if the wireless connection works first?

Thanks, Alan150

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I can give you the wireless driver you need right now, if you go into the Device Manager and post the hardware ID you see for the device labeled as a Network Controller.

That is the wireless network adapter that needs the driver.

If you see a device labeled as an Ethernet Controller, that is the wired network adapter that needs a driver, and that would also be why you can't connect via ethernet cable.  No driver = won't work.

Use the guide I posted above to find the hardware ID.

HP Recommended

Under "Other Devices"

Network Controller

Hardware Ids : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0085&SUBSYS_13118086&REV_34

Physical Device Object Name : \Device\NTPNP_PC10018

Ethernet Controller

Hardware Ids : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_161C103C&REV-04

Physical Device Object Name : \Device\NTPNP_PC100004

HP Recommended

OK.

Here are the links to the wireless and ethernet drivers you need.  Once you install them and restart the PC, you should be able to connect to your router either way.

This package contains drivers required to enable functionality of the Intel Wireless LAN adapter on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58782.exe

This package contains the driver installation package for the Intel 82579LM and 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60775.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you very much again.

I think I'll wait until first thing in the morning to "put in" SP1 and the two drivers you just sent to me. I'll be rested and less likely to make a mistake.

I'll download them from this computer, put the EliteBook here and then install them.

Two last questions:

1, I'll find a new flash drive to put all three on.  Will a Kingston 8 GB be big enough for all three, or will I need a 16 GB, or a 32 GB flash drive?

2. Should I install SP1 or the two "device drivers" first? Does it matter?

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again, Alan 105

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

An 8 GB flash drive will be plenty for SP1, and the two networking drivers.

Personally, I would install SP1, and then the two networking drivers, but it isn't essential you do it that way.

I like to get SP1 installed before connecting to the internet, so windows update doesn't start downloading a bunch of useless updates that SP1 is going to install anyway.

That way, after SP1 is installed, every update that Windows Update downloads will count.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.