Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8740w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear All,

I am coming to you today as I already tried many (maybe all) of the suggested solutions posted on this forum.

Unfortunately, I never managed to get a proper, working install.

After updating to windows 10 (Auto update from windows - Online) the Validity Fingerprint Sensor (VFS451) just stopped working.

When trying to uninstall VFS driver using device manager, the biometric will dissapear from the device list. After restarting, the biometric will show the Validity sensor as if nothing happened, same driver version (2.3.0.0) and same driver details???. Tried updating, manually uninstalling, third party drivers (Lenovo) etc... without success.

I never got to the point where Windows Hello would show up and let me configure the sensor.

Hope someone has a solution, at least to uninstall the driver as it seems to be the main problem.

Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Olivier

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Olivier

i see did not work

Check your windows 10 Features for the Framework installation

Update the Frameworks

Install the HP ProtectTools Security Manager

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63727.exe 

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
HP Recommended

Olivier

Please uninstall the Lenovo driver

Install and Test the Version 4.5.133.0 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66915.exe

or Test the driver

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71833.exe

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

thanks go2 for your quick reply,

I tried both drivers, each time uninstalling previuous components from device manager and programs and features/remove program.

After updating (in both cases i.e. sp66915 and sp71833), the driver file details remained unchanged, as well as the version of the driver (2.3.0.0).

The synaptic WBF Fingerprint reader is installed (with version 4.5.307.0) and device manager says the device (VFS451) is working properly.

I then tried to update from device manager/update driver without success as the system recognize the installed driver as up to date, even when manually selecting the file.

the most interesting part is when I try to uninstall the driver from device manager, the biometric device disapear. I restart the computer and a few minutes later, everything return to normal as if the device had been installed again. Biometric appear back in the device manager list and the VFS is visible and working "properly" with a driver version 2.3.0.0. Magic...

Don't know if this helps.

Any other idea is welcome, thank you all for your time and skills 🙂

HP Recommended

olko01

when I read that, I think that will not be installed correctly when you install the INF file.

testing
open the Device Manager
Uninstall the Fingerprint Driver

Install the new driver

HP Recommended

Hello @olko01! I had same problem for my dv6 laptop. I did whatever is currently available on online forums to make fingerprint reader work again but all was in vain. Finally had to do CLEAN windows 10 install and after that  my very old VFS301 sensor started working like charm with driver from windows updateprovided by microsoft. I do not ask you to see if this is feasible right away, but if other suggestions fail then you might want to give it a try.

But ensure you have full sytem backup before you do so.

HP Recommended

Thank you amols08,

Did a clean install with (windows managed, not from disc or USB) and got the same result.

I am unable to uninstall or update the driver as windows says it is up to date.

I do not know if a new driver has been installed during clean install.

I tried then to unistall, restart, re-install without success.

I still cannot see Hello in sign in options and no thing when using the Fingerprint Scanner.

Thank's again for your help.

Olivier

HP Recommended

Olivier

use the microsoft update catalog

download v. 4.5

HP Recommended

Hello Go2,

thanks again for your support.

I did follow your advice going to the Microsoft Update Catalog.

I found the Validity Sensors for VFS451/windows 10 and downloaded it.

The downloaded file is a .cab so I ran a CMD prompt as admin and tried the following syntax:

DISM.exe /Online /add-package /packagepath:E:\driverupdate\IA64_AMD64_X86-all-200000601_40fd10f76e19e2f6715ed8c55e103fc38f3e8f28.cab

The pathe to the file being:

E:\driverupdate\IA64_AMD64_X86-all-200000601_40fd10f76e19e2f6715ed8c55e103fc38f3e8f28.cab

Each time I run the command, I have the same error message:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /add-package /packagepath:E:\driverupdate\IA64_AMD64_X86-all-200000601_40fd10f76e19e2f6715ed8c55e103fc38f3e8f28.cab

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

An error occurred trying to open - E:\driverupdate\IA64_AMD64_X86-all-200000601_40fd10f76e19e2f6715ed8c55e103fc38f3e8f28.cab Error: 0x80070002

Error: 2

The system cannot find the file specified.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

It seems the command is correct and the path to the file has been copied and paste from windows explorer??? I am lost... Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Olivier

HP Recommended

Olivier

i see did not work

Check your windows 10 Features for the Framework installation

Update the Frameworks

Install the HP ProtectTools Security Manager

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63727.exe 

HP Recommended

million thanks Go2, u rock!!!!

works like a charm now...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.