Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My EliteBook 8740w uses the VFS451.  And where does one get the SimplePass software? That was not part of my original configuration.

HP Recommended

The main point is update Validity Sensors to latest version 4.5+ so it can be supported by Windows 10.

Follow by go2, I got driver  package from: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=VFS451

which support Windows 10.

I've got it working following those steps:

1. Once you got the CAB file by using a extract tool (WinRAR) to extract it to a folder (eg. D:\driver\vfp451)

2. Disconnect to the Internet (to prevent Windows Driver automatic install driver)

3. Using Device Manager, unsinstall existing Validity Sensors (with Version 2.3...), now it become Unknow Device

4. Right click to Unknow Device (which actually a Validity Sensors) choose update driver and then browser to extracted folder (vfp451) before.

5. Done, use Windows Hello to setup finger print authenticate.

HP Recommended

duccom:  I "updated" the sensor driver according to your directions (more or less) and it appears to be fine now for logging in to Windows.  When I went to the Microsoft Update Catalog, however, it sure looked like the Windows 10 driver is older than the one that was already installed for Windows 10.  Despite the version numbers, the 4.5.x version is several years older than the 2.3 .x version that was installed.  But whatever, it now seems to work. Thanks!

Now, is there other software that will let me use the fingerprint sensor for in-application sign-ins and such, like QuickBooks?  I'm not talking about web log ins.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

Everything working fairly well for me.  I would still like to get the BIOS logon option to work.  Has anyone come across someone who got this to work?

(I am now using the  Synaptics (Validity) Fingerprint Sensor Driver  - sp71833 and with HP SimplePass for Windows 10 - sp63224 on an EliteBook 8770w - the fingerprint device # VFS491 ) 

HP Recommended

> I would still like to get the BIOS logon option to work.  Has anyone come across someone who got this to work?

I'm pretty sure it's going to require ProtectTools to fingerprint-protect the BIOS on that machne.  My original ProtectTools installation, the one I had before upgrading to Win10, still provided BIOS protection after the upgrade.  I wonder if installing that original version might solve all of this now that the fingerprint senor work in Win10 with the updated driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks Duccom, after searching online for days this is the solution for Hp Probook series!

HP Recommended

Hi All,

An update from me.  After another Windows10 update, the following setup became unstable and the system stopped functioning properly.

Synaptics (Validity) Fingerprint Sensor Driver  - sp71833 and with HP SimplePass for Windows 10 - sp63224 on an EliteBook 8770w - the fingerprint device # VFS491

I have been able to sort it out by using the following HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software - sp71729 and Synaptics (Validity) Fingerprint Sensor Driver  - sp71833.

Windows Hello works as well.

Every attempt to get the Bios login to work has failed.

HP Recommended

Hi, what did you actually do to solve the fingerprint scanner problem.

Mine stopped working after re-instal of Win 10 on Envy 13.

HP Recommended

After working correctly for a while, the scanner now works only intermittently at log in. Not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with leaving the machine on all the time but in sleep mode when not used.  Seems to work best right after reboot, them flaky again.  Oh well, there's always PIN.

HP Recommended

To get the fingerprint sensor working again, find the exact hardware version of your sensor, i.e. my verison is fingerprint device # VFS491.

Look it up in the device manager.

I dowloaded the following 2 HP SoftPacks and everything works.  Synaptics (Validity) Fingerprint Sensor Driver  - sp7183 and HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software - sp71729.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.