Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thank you for reply!

I tried to install both HP SimplePAss and that version of driver that you suggested. I think your version of driver does not fit to my finger scanner (native on HP website for Envy 13 - SP72114, which get easily in place). Still the scanner does not show any signs of life (no blinking light, not available in Simple Pass or Windows Sign-in settings).

The hardware version - did not find anything close to yours. The closest - VID_138&PID_0050&REV_0060

Please, any other ideas?

HP Recommended

I got my fingerprint reader working on my HP Pavilion dv7 (aka dv7-6c95dx) running Windows 10.  I cobbled the method from reading a bunch of other posts.

1. At the top of HP's website go to the menu Support > Software & drivers.
  2. Find your model of computer however is easiest for you.  I entered "Pavilion dv7-6c95dx".
  3. That took me to my specific machine's support page http://bit.ly/1YmXdBD (opens in a new page).  It said Windows 10, which I have, but no drivers specified.  I already knew this would be the case from other posts in this forum.  You will see a line that says "Software available for your operating system: Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows 10" with a Change link.  Click the Change link and select Microsoft Windows 8.
  4. Click the Update button.
  5. A bunch of entries will appear.  Look for and select Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices.
  6. I clicked the button Download 64-bit.
  7. After I got the file to my machine, I right-clicked on "This PC" on my desktop and selected Properties.  There I clicked on the Device Manager link.
  8. Right click on  Biometric Devices > Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0018) and slect Properties.
  9. Select the Driver tab and click the Uninstall button.
  10. After uninstall is completed, run the installer you just downloaded.  Mine was called sp58834.exe.
  11. After installation is complete, you need to reboot your machine to complete the install.

Since I put this new driver in, my fingerprint reader has been working great on Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Success!!

Hi All,

An update from me.  Whilst upating my son's laptop, I saw that HP has released an updated version of HP Client Security for Windows 10 dated Dec 5, 2015. So I downloaded sp 74101, removed HP Simple Pass and "Hey Presto" Bios Logon and fingerprint control.

Synaptics (Validity) Fingerprint Sensor Driver  - sp71833  - the fingerprint device # VFS491on an EliteBook 8770w ( my son's machine is HP ProBook 455 G1)

Windows Hello still works as well.

HP Recommended

>HP Client Security for Windows 10 dated Dec 5, 2015

I can find only one dated 3 December 2015.  Can you provide the version number and link?

HP Recommended

Hi,

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5359416&swItemId=ob_158015_1&swEnvOid=419...

Version: 8.3.17.2042 Rev.A(3 Dec 2015) 

Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) 

File name: sp74101.exe (147 MB)

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

OK, I got the Client Security application up and running on my EliteBook 8740w, but when I go to set up fingerprint scanning it is not seeing the fingerprint scanner; says it's not installed.  It's an older VF451 model, but Win10 seems to see it (sometimes). Am using the 4.5.124.0 version VS driver (7/22/2009).

HP Recommended

You might have to just systematically try the various sp 's till you get one that works

This sp 71833 driver (4.5.307.0 Rev.A(17 Jul 2015))  works for both my son's laptop and mine, so maybe it might work for you?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5359416&swItemId=ob_150883_1&swEnvOid=419...

I'd recommend uninstalling the driver from the biometric devices in the device manager and then reboot.  Then installing a new driver from the sp.

This might be an option. sp66915

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_134806_1&swEnvOid=4158#tab4

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thank you AbuEdik.  The new driver appears to be the one originally installed by Windows 10 when I upgraded -- Driver Version:  2.3.0.0.  But whatever, it works!  Now I have the fingerprint authentication before the machine boots, which then logs me into Windows.  Applications that require a password, like bank feeds in QuickBooks, let me swipe my finger for the password (still valid from the original ProtectTools!) like before I upgraded to Win10.  Amazing.  Thanks, again.

HP Recommended

Glad to have helped!!

I was waiting for HP to come up with a post Windows 10 version of Client Security as I felt that would be the ultimate solution.

Happy New Year!

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.