Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
N9Q77EA#ABH
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is my first time posting in this forum so there could be some mistakes. Sorry for any language related mistakes too, English is also not my first language.

Introduction:

I am no longer able to get my Validity fingerprint sensor to work with Windows Hello. I’m beyond novice when it comes down to troubleshooting computers so I thought I could solve this myself but with this one I ran out of ideas. After successfully registering my fingerprint in the windows setting Sign-in options section and then reboot my sign-in screen brakes and I’m no longer able to use my fingerprint or my PIN to log in to my account. After rebooting and trying to use my fingerprint to login it’ll will tell me that I HAVE to enter my PIN to log in. After trying to fill in my PIN Windows gives me a error code (0x80070032).

Specifications and other information that might be of use:

- HP ENVY Notebook (source: HP Support Assistant)

- HP ENVY Notebook - 13-d020nd (ENERGY STAR) (souce:https://support.hp.com/)

- Product number: N9Q77EA#ABH

- All drivers up to date

- Windows 10 fully up to date (no updates available from within the OS)

- Windows 10 Home 64-bit

- Version: 1703

- OS Build: 15063.483

- Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0050) (source: device manager)

Detailed description:

The problem started after I did a system restore (removing all files) and tried to set up Hello as normal. I reseted my system in the first place because I was experiencing freezing (Windows no longer responsive, audio stuck and forced shutdown required). After finishing my up restoring everything and started to using the computer as normal noticed this problem. At first I thought the issue was caused by uninstalling Malwarebytes with Revo Uninstaller Pro but this proved not the be the case seeing as after another system restore (again removing all files) the issue persisted. Also note that the hardware is not defective, I’m able to use the SimplePass software without a problem.

I’ll now go through a step by step description of how I can reproduce this issue:

Approach #1: (Set up PIN first then fingerprint)

1. Base Situation: Password setup. No PIN and no fingerprint configured.
  2. Set up PIN.
  3. Lock Windows with L+Win key, test newly added PIN. Working.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Unable to log in with PIN, error message: (code:0x80070032).
  6. After logging in with a normal password and checking in the windows Hello setting the PIN has been removed. No option to remove PIN, just to set up a new PIN as if there wasn’t any in the first place.
  7. L+Win key, PIN login still an option and still not working.
  8. After checking the directory where Windows stores PINs the does indeed appear that the PIN has not been removed. Directory: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Ngc\

*Side note: can’t set up new PIN either, no setup prompt will show up.

9. Remove the folder stored in the Ngc (need special rights to do so).

10. Able to set up a PIN again. (back to base situation)

Approach #2: (Fingerprint first and PIN in the set up)

1. Base Situation: Password setup. No PIN and no fingerprint configured.
  2. Set up fingerprint first instead of a PIN.
  3. Go through setup. Scan fingerprint, enter password and set up PIN.
  4. In the windows setting sign-in options section it does say for both fingerprint and PIN that they a properly set up.
  5. L+Win key. fingerprint scanner starts flashing (LED), wipe finger over scanner and Windows properly unlocks.
  6. L+Win key. Use PIN to log in, working.
  7. Reboot.
  8. After reboot the fingerprint LED start flashing. After wiping finger over the scanner nothing happens except for a dialog box that tells me to put in the PIN.

*side note: after waiting ~30 seconds after step 8.  the login screen will fully lock (no pass or PIN dialog box, just the clock and wallpaper) it’ll say: “Hallo my_username”. It’s almost like Windows Hello did recognize me.

9. Wipe finger over the scanner again, tells me now that I HAVE to fill in my PIN in other to login.

10. Try to login with PIN, get error code: (code:0x80070032).

11. Log in with password.

12. Check windows setting Sign-in options section, fingerprint still registered, no PIN registered.

13. Check: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Ngc\ , folder for the previously set up PIN still present.

14. L+Win key, fingerprint and PIN login still not working in the same way.

15. Try to add new PIN, unable to, no setup prompt shows up.

16. Remove fingerprint in WIndows Hello settings.

17. Try to add a new PIN, still can’t.

18. Try to add new fingerprint, scan finger, enter password but nothing happens after it tells me to add a PIN.

20. Again remove the PIN folder stored in the Ngc.

21. Back to base situation.

Variations on approach #2:

- Instead of step 9 go straight to PIN, still error code.

Keep in mind that all of this testing is done on a newly reset Windows 10 with a local account (not linked to any kind of email).

Other things I’ve tried:

- Reinstall Validity drivers via device manager. Let Windows look for drivers and also tried the Validity divers that HP provide on it’s product page.

Any kind of advice and solution would be more then welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This will hopefully be my last post in this topic. Some time ago I got my ENVY notebook back from the HP repair service. When I started up the laptop and ran “sfc /scannow” through an elevated command prompt I noticed that (like before it was send for repair) there were still corrupted files in the system. After that I proceeded to checking if Windows Hello worked with my fingerprint scanner. It did appear to work even after I made a new user. I still don’t have a good idea as to what repair was performed on my device seeing as the only things the repair form said was “BIOS update” and “Other SW action”. It did seen like the only thing that was done was install SimplePass. I proceeded to updating Windows to the latest update. At first Windows kept failing installing updates so I resorted to updating it via the update tool provided officially by Microsoft. I went from a Windows 15xx build to the creators update (17xx). After updating the problem fully returned. The only difference was that my PIN code did not reset every time I rebooted. I decided to try to continue trying to find a fix for myself. Eventually after a couple of days of tinkering I finally found a fix.

What follows is a description on how I fixed the problem for my case.

- It’s very important to have any form of SimplePass uninstalled seeing as it causes major conflicts with Windows Hello.

1. Remove all fingerprints in Windows Hello together with your PIN code and do a reboot. This will be the base situation from where to fix the problem.

2. (optional) Check if the folder “C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc” is empty after the reboot. This is where Windows 10 stores it’s PIN codes. If it’s not empty you have to assume all rights and delete/move the folder and reboot.

3. Proceed to setting up a PIN code and reboot. Also confirm it is working.

4. Set up a fingerprint in Windows Hello. Sometimes nothing shows up before the part where you are supposed to start swiping your fingerprint over the scanner, a reboot fixes this for me.

5. Reboot. On the sign-in screen a fingerprint login will not work, this is fine. After that login with your PASSWORD and proceed to the sign-in options settings where Windows Hello is located.

6. Remove the fingerprint and open the registry. This is done by pressing “win key + R” and then typing “regedit” in the window.

7. Navigate to “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinBio\”.

8. The first thing that HAS TO BE DONE is assume all rights to this registry folder together with allowing ONLY the administrator to edit and read that folder. Any other who is allowed to read and write MUST be set on READ ONLY. All the newly applied permissions must also be applied to the registry folders and any keys in the WinBio tree.

9. Within the WinBio registry folder there should be three folders: ‘.DEFAULT’ , ‘AccountInfo’ and ‘SensorInfo’ . I always removed the ‘.DEFAULT’ folder but I am not sure if this is in fact necessary.

The ‘AccountInfo’ folder will be empty, this is as it should be seeing as you removed your fingerprint a couple of steps ago. It could be that the folder under ‘AccountInfo’ is not completely empty, in that case ONLY the registry keys: ‘EnrolledFactors’ and VirtualSecureModeFactores’ should be present with their respective values filled in.

Click on the folder called ‘SensorInfo’ and set the key ‘TpmSupported’ reg key to value 0. Lastly you’ll have to clear all the VALUES in the folder that contains the reg keys called: ‘BioServiceKey’ and ‘TpmKeyName’. So double click on ‘BioServiceKey’ and remove the enormous sing of numbers till it is completely empty. The ‘TpmKeyName’ reg key inside the same folder should also not have any value.

Now remember how the WinBio reg folder looks like and do a reboot. You will have to check after the reboot if indeed nothing has changed within the time you rebooted. If something has changed you have not properly assumed all rights to the WinBio folder and/or have not set the other users to read only.

10. Proceed to register a fingerprint with Windows Hello and do a reboot. The problem should now be fixed.

I hope this helps anyone out and prevent them from taking as many read and write cycles of their SSDs as me by trying to solve this problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

UPDATE 1:

Things tried after a call with HP tech support:

- Clear TPM in BIOS

No effect on the problem.

- Full system restore (remove all files) with the the D recovery partition. Set Windows back to version 1511 and OS build 10586.36 . (previously only did a system restore from within Windows settings)

After going through the setup and creating a user with password I went to setting up a PIN without updating the system first (as instructed). As before the issue remained after reboot. I managed to setup a PIN, after that Win key+L, PIN works, reboot PIN login no longer an option (not happened before). After logging in with my password and wanting to check out the sign in settings I was no longer able to. Settings appears to be stuck on loading now. After inspecting the C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Ngc\ folder there was still a PIN folder. Sadly even after deleting this folder I was not able to get back into the Windows sign-in section within settings.

See video showing sign-in settings is stuck:

https://youtu.be/9uXIMRkdTrQ

*forgot to show information about this pc in the video but you can tell by the dated look of the OS and the lack of Gaming section in the settings that it is in fact an older version of Windows.

As can be seen in the video my situation has only been worsened after restoring my system fully. I will now update the system to get it back to where I was before this restore. I will report back whether or not this has any effect on the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @GenericUser108,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the finger print reader no longer working. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

I have found a wonderful document which should help you resolve this issue, I would suggest you follow all the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 😎

As you are going to perform a system restore to a previous date where it was all working fine, Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

UPDATE 2:

I am unable to update windows. First time I tried updating my notebook was stuck on a blue circle loading. I know it was stuck because nothing would happen in about 1 hour time and it would even go into sleep mode. Not even a reboot with CTRL + ALT + DEL fixed it. Eventually got back into the system by selecting a restore point before it had attempted to update. Once again I tried to update Windows. Windows starts downloading updates, reboots to install them, on the second reboot fails and reverts all changes. This time I did manage to get back into the system. I decided to install all the HP Support Assistant updates first instead of the Windows updates first. This had no effect on the updating problem. After that I tried a “sfc /scan” in an elevated command prompt. This resulted in the detection of corrupt files whom which couldn’t be fixed by the “sfc /scan” command. After that I tried fixing the corrupt files with this article: https://www.easytechguides.com/sfc-unable-to-fix-corrupt-files.html
*I used method 3.

Sadly trying to fix Windows in this way also didn’t fix my updating issues. It did however fix my corrupt files (can be seen in the screenshots). All this is very strange seeing as this is a completely fresh version of Windows that I restored via the recovery partition. I should not be experiencing any issues with not being able to go into sign-in options or corrupt files. I think it is safe to conclude that there is something majorly wrong with my copy of Windows.

Updated could not be be installed (sais it in Dutch):
http://i.imgur.com/0WbYsUb.jpg
Results of the first “sfc /scan” command:
http://i.imgur.com/QKxBD5y.jpg
Results of following method 3 form https://www.easytechguides.com/sfc-unable-to-fix-corrupt-files.html
http://i.imgur.com/UN1atpW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EjbN3BT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8PcGzpC.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @GenericUser108,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried performing a system recovery using the partition and still having issues with finger print reader not working and now the PC is stuck on updating. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run an extensive test on the System from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results, if all the test passes, I would suggest you perform a system recovery. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. Since you have already tried performing recovery from the partition and still having the issue. I would suggest  you can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at the problem I'm having. Yesterday I spoke with an employee of HP Support over the phone. Together we concluded that, like you said, the best thing to do is a fresh install of Windows with a recovery media. He was kind enough to order one for me. He also instructed me to run a hardware test. I will be running this hardware test as soon as I'm done installing that fresh copy of Windows via the recovery media to eliminate variables (corruptions could perhaps give false positives). If after the fresh install Windows still proves to be giving problems then I think it is save to conclude that this is a hardware related issue. I will be waiting for the recovery media USB to arrive and will report back as soon as I have executed the steps above. If you have anything to add please feel free to tell me.

HP Recommended

Hi @GenericUser108,

Thank you for replying,
Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yesterday evening the System Restore USB arrived. This morning I set to factory resetting Windows with the USB. I let it run through the set up process (take a little more then a hour, I think). After the reset was done I made a local account and just like before, before any updating, I went straight to the sign-in section within the Windows 10 settings. I added a PIN code, checked if it worked with Win-key+L, worked and rebooted. After the reboot the option to log in with my PIN had disappeared. I proceeded to check the sign-in section and the PIN code was still present. After that I also checked the Ngc folder, PIN still there. Still when locking the PC there was no option to login with a PIN. I did another reboot. This time I was unable to get back into Windows. Windows was stuck on loading dots spinning in circle formation. No reboot or shutdown fixed this. I've had this problem before. Previously I fixed this by going into the recovery partition and going back to a restore point. Sadly this time this wasn't an option since this version of Windows was so fresh. Within the recovery menu I chose to start windows in safe-mode. This allowed me to get back into windows. From there I ran a "sfc /scannow" command in CMD. This scan reported that there were corrupt files (again, very strange for a newly reset system). After this I decided to do another factory reset (via the USB).  After Windows was done resetting instead of doing anything else I decided to do a "sfc /scannow". Again the a detection of corrupt files. So in short,  a freshly reset copy of Windows 10 with a recovery USB resulted in corrupt files even without any changes made by me as the user.

Next week I will be contacted by a HP Call Support employee and I will present these results. From there we will decide what to do next. To be honest, the way the situation is looking now, I think the only option left is to let HP pick my notebook up for repair.

HP Recommended

Hi @GenericUser108,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you received the recovery media and you tried to perform a system recovery and still having the issue, I would personally suggest this could be a possible hardware failure. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can setup a service. In the service center they can test all the hardware components as well as reload the Operating system back to the factory shipped settings. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This will hopefully be my last post in this topic. Some time ago I got my ENVY notebook back from the HP repair service. When I started up the laptop and ran “sfc /scannow” through an elevated command prompt I noticed that (like before it was send for repair) there were still corrupted files in the system. After that I proceeded to checking if Windows Hello worked with my fingerprint scanner. It did appear to work even after I made a new user. I still don’t have a good idea as to what repair was performed on my device seeing as the only things the repair form said was “BIOS update” and “Other SW action”. It did seen like the only thing that was done was install SimplePass. I proceeded to updating Windows to the latest update. At first Windows kept failing installing updates so I resorted to updating it via the update tool provided officially by Microsoft. I went from a Windows 15xx build to the creators update (17xx). After updating the problem fully returned. The only difference was that my PIN code did not reset every time I rebooted. I decided to try to continue trying to find a fix for myself. Eventually after a couple of days of tinkering I finally found a fix.

What follows is a description on how I fixed the problem for my case.

- It’s very important to have any form of SimplePass uninstalled seeing as it causes major conflicts with Windows Hello.

1. Remove all fingerprints in Windows Hello together with your PIN code and do a reboot. This will be the base situation from where to fix the problem.

2. (optional) Check if the folder “C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc” is empty after the reboot. This is where Windows 10 stores it’s PIN codes. If it’s not empty you have to assume all rights and delete/move the folder and reboot.

3. Proceed to setting up a PIN code and reboot. Also confirm it is working.

4. Set up a fingerprint in Windows Hello. Sometimes nothing shows up before the part where you are supposed to start swiping your fingerprint over the scanner, a reboot fixes this for me.

5. Reboot. On the sign-in screen a fingerprint login will not work, this is fine. After that login with your PASSWORD and proceed to the sign-in options settings where Windows Hello is located.

6. Remove the fingerprint and open the registry. This is done by pressing “win key + R” and then typing “regedit” in the window.

7. Navigate to “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinBio\”.

8. The first thing that HAS TO BE DONE is assume all rights to this registry folder together with allowing ONLY the administrator to edit and read that folder. Any other who is allowed to read and write MUST be set on READ ONLY. All the newly applied permissions must also be applied to the registry folders and any keys in the WinBio tree.

9. Within the WinBio registry folder there should be three folders: ‘.DEFAULT’ , ‘AccountInfo’ and ‘SensorInfo’ . I always removed the ‘.DEFAULT’ folder but I am not sure if this is in fact necessary.

The ‘AccountInfo’ folder will be empty, this is as it should be seeing as you removed your fingerprint a couple of steps ago. It could be that the folder under ‘AccountInfo’ is not completely empty, in that case ONLY the registry keys: ‘EnrolledFactors’ and VirtualSecureModeFactores’ should be present with their respective values filled in.

Click on the folder called ‘SensorInfo’ and set the key ‘TpmSupported’ reg key to value 0. Lastly you’ll have to clear all the VALUES in the folder that contains the reg keys called: ‘BioServiceKey’ and ‘TpmKeyName’. So double click on ‘BioServiceKey’ and remove the enormous sing of numbers till it is completely empty. The ‘TpmKeyName’ reg key inside the same folder should also not have any value.

Now remember how the WinBio reg folder looks like and do a reboot. You will have to check after the reboot if indeed nothing has changed within the time you rebooted. If something has changed you have not properly assumed all rights to the WinBio folder and/or have not set the other users to read only.

10. Proceed to register a fingerprint with Windows Hello and do a reboot. The problem should now be fixed.

I hope this helps anyone out and prevent them from taking as many read and write cycles of their SSDs as me by trying to solve this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.