Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have just finished  installing a New  Hard drive in my  HP  Pavillion  dv4-2049us  Laptop Windows 7. What do I do next to get the computer up and running??

e.g. Do I have to re-install  Windows 7 from the disk? Or , do I have to use a "Boot Disk"?  BTW, what is a boot Disk??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try this: on the first screen, select Internal CD/DVD and hit F10 again to save the setup. You have to switch back to HDD after the loading the OS on your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is it a BLANK, EMPTY BRAND NEW HDD ? If yes, you have to install the Opereting System (OS) on it. Do you have a Windows installation DVD ? Do you have Recovery disces set ? Please suuply more information.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
The hard drive is new and empty. I did purchase a windows 7 disk os.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following instructions will help:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win7ultimate/windows7installguides/indexfullpage.htm

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
I have already tried running the disk in the laptop. i hear the disk running, but all i see on the screen is. No bootable device found, place boot disk in drive then press any key. This is what it says on the screen.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry you need to boot from the ODD (Optical Disc Drive - ie the DVD). Please go to the BIOS and select boot up from the CD/DVD first. Have you read the above link ? This is one part of that link:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win7ultimate/7help/firstbootinbios/index.htm

On your laptop, try F10.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

phpQ2wOjhPM.jpgphpJwKqTnPM.jpgphpkN8jvSPM.jpgThis is what my screen looks like when I press F10. The black screen  stays the same no matter what changes I make.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try this: on the first screen, select Internal CD/DVD and hit F10 again to save the setup. You have to switch back to HDD after the loading the OS on your machine.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi, I am still getting a No bootable device screen . I am running the disk in the drive anyway to see if it would load.  Result- same  No difference in loading response.

HP Recommended

I need help to know what to do after install a new hard dri ve inmy hp laptop .i turn laptop with new hard drive pres f10 and ablu box comes on askin set up pasword i try to pres enter nothing. Can someone hdlp please email [Personal Information Removed]  thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.