Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have recently purchase a new Western Digital Hard Drive and was wondering if I can use my recovery disks i made on my old drive for this new drive so it would run normally as my old drive did before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not quite, what you have to do is open the DVD/CD drawer while the laptop is on, leave the drawer open and shut down.

Insert your first recovery DVD and close the drawer.

Upon boot up look for a message at the lower bottom left of the screen that says "Press the esc key for start up options" do this and you will have a number of choices. Navigate to f9 and press enter.

Choose to boot from internal DVD/CD ROM Drive and push enter.

That will now boot into your first recovery DVD. It will automatically eject when finished and ask for the other two.

You could also simply start tapping the f9 key upon boot up, this will also get you to the correct window.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you mean the Recovery Discs used to reinstall the operating system, you should have no problem using these discs to install the OS on the new drive.  They will also re-create the Recovery Partition on your new drive and reinstall all the original software that came with your notebook.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I was also wondering if this particular hard drive would work as i have heard that you need a tattooed drive by hp

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+Scorpio+320GB+Internal+SATA+Hard+Drive+for+Laptops/890...

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive does not need to be 'tattooed'.  Recovery Discs check for a 'tattoo' on the bios chip to authenticate the installation of the operating system.  Is the drive you mention similar in capacity to your original drive?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Well my original drive was a 250gb with 5400 rpm (not sure what brand) and i was hoping to replace my old drive as it had failed along with upgrading it.

HP Recommended

I have heard about this tattooing business too, but I have never had a problem. As an experiment when I put a new Seagate Momentus drive in my HDX  I then borrowed a friends HP Vista recovery disc's and they worked, not that I wanted to install Vista on it, but I wanted to see. We both have the exact same machines running the same hard ware.

I installed a retail copy of W7 after that.

So to answer you question, your Western Digital hard drive will work as long as it's Sata and that it's a 2.5 inch laptop drive, which it is. Although in your link it doesn't come right out and say 2.5 inch, it just says laptop hard drive.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I totally agree with HaggisCat, the drive you suggest will be fine.

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I am now in the process of removing my hard drive and have come across a problem

I have removed the firs 2 screws for the cover

I have removed the 3 screws holding down the hard drive

I am now having trouble slidng the hard drive out with the mylar tab as it is a piece of metal that is horizontal and is pretty stiff.

Is there a way of getting it out as i don't have much space to fit my fingers in to slide it out?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Some HP HDDs have an adapter that connects vertically so you may need to try lifting the drive upwards rather than sliding it horizontally.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

What's your full model number, I want to look up the procedure in the Media Services Library ?

Or you can have a look yourself.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.