Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 4530S
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon, all!

I've been trying to upgrade a ProBook 4530S to Windows 10.  All looks good until I try to connect to Wi-Fi.  The widget simply says "Cannot connect to wireless" and there are no Event Viewer entries showing why.  

The wired adapter works fine.  They're both the Realtek adapter.  I tried the Windows 8.1 driver with no success.  The hard switch is on and the LED is white.  The BIOS is the latest & greatest.  Also triple-checked the wireless router password - thst's OK, too!

With no indication from the OS as to what's going on, I may have to restore Win 7 and either start over or give up.  I have another ProBook that I tried to upgrade; the wireless was fine, but there was something in the services that kept refreshing the desktop and breaking VPN and RDP connections.  So, I'm a little concerned that these laptops may not be upgradeable to Win 10.  

Any tips for getting Win 10 to run on this?

Thanks to all for looking!

Gregg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has the RTL8188CE wireless card, that doesn't work on W10.

I didn't even know there was a W8.1 driver for it.  I only thought that card worked up to W8.

Why not upgrade the wlan card to the Intel card listed in the service manual...chapter 3, page 25.

That should work fine on W10.  Not only that, but you then get a dual band card with bluetooth.

Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6230     HP Part # 636672-001

The only caution is you must get that card, and it must have the HP part # on it or it will not work because of the BIOS whitelist HP has on those models.

You should be able to find them used but in tested and working condition cheaply on eBay by querying by the part number.

I would make sure you see the HP part number shown for the item in the listing photograph.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has the RTL8188CE wireless card, that doesn't work on W10.

I didn't even know there was a W8.1 driver for it.  I only thought that card worked up to W8.

Why not upgrade the wlan card to the Intel card listed in the service manual...chapter 3, page 25.

That should work fine on W10.  Not only that, but you then get a dual band card with bluetooth.

Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6230     HP Part # 636672-001

The only caution is you must get that card, and it must have the HP part # on it or it will not work because of the BIOS whitelist HP has on those models.

You should be able to find them used but in tested and working condition cheaply on eBay by querying by the part number.

I would make sure you see the HP part number shown for the item in the listing photograph.

HP Recommended

Good morning, Paul!

That matches what we see on that model laptop, and confirmed when I opened Device Mangler.  It seems odd that a current wi-fi adapter isn't supported in some way.

Thanks for the tip about replacing the adapter; we'll explore that option as well.

Thanks!

Gregg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gregg.

HP Recommended

Hello,

My ProBook 4530s has a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b|g|n WiFi Adapter and it works fine.

Make a great day!

Roger

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.