Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting Restoration Incomplete - At second Phase of the process.

The Driver installation steps is 100% complete and installed .

I am getting the following error just after the laptop has rebooted to continue with the next step "Preparing for Software Installation"

___________________FROM CTOERROR.flg________________________________

[20:38:58.13] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Detect some error during PININST_BBV.
[20:38:58.13] ChkErrBB.CMD :  Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log
[20:38:58.13] ChkErrBB.CMD :  or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log
[20:38:58.14] ----------------------------------------
[20:38:58.14] Critical error condition was detected at BBV1...  
[20:38:58.14]  
[20:38:58.14] Refer the following file if exists.  
[20:38:58.14]   - c:\system.sav\Logs\BurnBootWarn.log
[20:38:58.14]   - c:\system.sav\Logs\BurnBoot.log
[20:38:58.14] Switch to 2ndCap's WinPE and show [Recovery Manager]'s Imcomplete dialog.  
[20:38:58.14] because RM's dialog can't appear on [Start] screen on Win8 environment.
[20:38:58.14] customer may not notice RM already shows Error dialog.
[20:38:58.14] ----------------------------------------
there might be unexpected reboot during BBV Clean or Last...  
The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal...  
there might be unexpected reboot during BBV Clean or Last...  
The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal...

I have tried the Factory Install, the Minimal Install both with same outcome.

I tried wiping out the HD... to the point of also not even having any partition, just leaving all space as  Unallocated.

What I noticed after each failure when I checked with the linux live cd partition table, is that the Hard Drive gets repartitioned as follows. (Which  does not look anything like how it was in the beginning)

Screenshot from 2017-09-11 20-47-58.png

It leaves 592GB space as unallocated. I don't know why. IS my understanding the Restore DVD's were created from this laptop. So I don't know if that is an issue.

I tried with the linux live CD to merge those 592 with the sda3 ntf partition.  Tried the restoration again and I ended up with the same partition as above.... back to 592 unallocated. 

Anyways. I have performed:

All the tests from the BIOS. All Passed.

HD completely wiped - all unallocated spaced

Tried factory restore and Minimal Restore - All same results

Tried as mentioned earlier allocating more space to the data partition - Attempted to reinstalled =same result

Here is the screen when it was installing the drivers which got completed.

20170910_175125.jpg

Anyways it completes the driver installation, then it reboots to show the Administrator Login Screen, then it reboots again, probably two more time then I get the error screen

restoration-incomplt.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@xDragonheartx

I was reading your error log and thinking-that is the infamous error in Windows 8 recovery. You have Windows 10 listed as OS in title. Then I noticed Windows 8 mentioned in the log file.

Can you confirm what OS are you trying to recover?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
hello Cheryl. Thank you for your prompt response.

I apologize. The laptop came originally with windows 8... it was later upgraded to 10. The rrecovery Disks are for the original image of OS 8.

My apology. I will update the title
HP Recommended
ok i dont know how to modify the title now.
HP Recommended

@xDragonheartx

Sorry so late getting back to this. Had power outage right after my last Reply due to Hurricane Irma the beast rolling through SC as a tropical storm. 🙂

It doesn't really matter about title since you have confirmed Windows 8 Recovery Media. We see that error a lot with them. The trick is to enter BIOS, reset to Default settings-usually tap F5 key. Then the big one- change the date to 1/01/2012. Save & Exit. Try Recovery again.

HP Recommended
unfortunately those steps do not fix it. i noticed even after changing the date once it finishes and gives that error, the bios displays 07/25/2012 after.. the 1/01/2012 which inchanged ot too before the process is not being display.. as if something changes it back to the default
HP Recommended
sorry for the typos. I
HP Recommended

@xDragonheartx

On some machines the strange new date does happen and Recovery again fails. In this case-go through the initial change in BIOS, run recovery again and on the first reboot intitiated by Recovery halt it by entering BIOS once again and reset to 1/01/2012. Save & Exit to let it resume.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your response.
I am in the process of doing the recovery again.

I will give an update when i have performed the steps you outlined.

thanks
HP Recommended
ok same thing.

i checked the bios after every single reboot.
the bios now states 08/03/2012. Changed every single one of them to 01/01/2012.

all the way until it reaches" preparing software installation" point. which of course fails at that point. "restoration incomplete."
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.