Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI, i am having Hp Pavilion Dv6t 6000 CTO QUad edition customized laptop bought from HP US in year 2011 with intel I7 processor. It was with Windows 7 home premium. I upgraded it to free windows 10 few months ago. It got upgraded to windows 10 home and it was fine with all recovery option when i press F11.

Then i upgraded it to windows 10 pro by purchasing a key online and it was upgraded to windows 10 pro. 

Now the main issue is: whenever i go to recovery option with F11, it shows the Windows boot Manager screen with the complete error as shown in attached screen shot. Otherwise it is fine when i run it and use it. But it loads slow as it takes 2-3 minutes black blue screen and then login windows appears. But loading slow is not primary issue i am raising this ticket for, but it will be added advantage if you can give resolution for that. But the main primary issue is below screen shot. Even when created windows 10 bootable USB from microsoft just today and then with that again reinstalled windows 10 pro clean by formatting C drive ( kept Remaining drive as it is like System Drive,Recovery Drive, HP tools drive and one more drive partition). still this issue persists even i installed clean windows 10 two times. Is there any way to repair this ? 

Thanks so much in advance

Boot Error.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

First run the hard drive diagnostics test (F2) in the BIOS and see what it reports.

If the drive passes, then see if the info below is of help to you...

https://silicophilic.com/winload-efi-missing-in-windows-10/

You will need to boot from the plain W10 USB installer you created.

When you get to the Install Now screen, on the bottom left side of the window will be a Repair your computer option.

Use the option with the command prompt, and go through each recommendation.

Hopefully, you will fix it with the first solution presented...Rebuild BCD

If you get a long or short DST drive failure code, then you will need to replace the hard drive with a new one before reinstalling W10.

HP Recommended

Hi,

As you said, i performed F2 Drive test. and it is failing SHORT DST. See the screen shot. Is there any way to repair it ? without having hard disk replaced? DST Failure.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

There aren't any ways that I know of to fix a failed hard drive other than by replacing it.

After you do that, you will be able to reinstall W10.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

If you don't need a lot of disk space, you may want to consider replacing the mechanical hard drive with a better performing, normally more reliable solid state drive.

Something like this...500 GB.

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct500mx500ssd1/ct11255800

HP Recommended

If i go to factory settings by Hp Recovery media, will that fix this SHORT DST error ?

HP Recommended

You have nothing to lose by trying it, but don't get your hopes up.

HP Recommended

Hi

As suggested, i replaced my hard drive with new 1 TB hard drive. But now i am not getting that HP test screen on F2, like it showed earlier and i performed the hard drive test.

There is some other test screen with normal DOS command prompt options to test for Hard drive but earlier it used to give 7-8 options for different test and It was Hp type utility screen. 

Any idea if i can get back that screen which had multiple options to do the test? now i have only 2 - 3 option like memory test and hard drive test when i press F2

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that I do not know.

I was under the impression the F2 diagnostics only tested the hard drive and memory.

I have a few HP notebooks, and that is all the F2 prompt lets me do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.