Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP x2 Detachable 10-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I am having great difficulty in updating the laptop with the latest version of Windows 1903. Initially, I was having space issues but after pretty much deleting everything on the laptop, I was able to get enough space (inclusive of a USB 30gb stick) The error code is 0x80240034

The problem now is that the update initialises but then fails with a message saying that there is another update that needs to applied first and a restart should fix the problem. However, I have rebooted the laptop several times and the problem still remains.

Any ideas on how I can get this laptop updated as my daughter needs it for school work.

Many thanks,

Paul 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Paulkinm 

I understand your wanting the laptop to have the current Win10 version on it -- but honestly, there is nothing in 1903 that is needed for schoolwork.

And, if you continue to mess with it, unless you have a full image backup --which I am guessing you do not -- you risk corrupting the current installation and rendering the device useless.

Additionally, version 1909 is going to be out within only a few weeks, so all your work in forcing version 1903 on it would have been for nought.

My best advice at this point is that you read the information below about Macrium Reflect and make an image backup of the laptop to an external drive, before you press onward with trying to get it updated to version 1903.  At least this way, if anything serious goes wrong, you will have something to restore a working system FROM...

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

--------------------------

Additionally, I have a PC running Win10 v1803 -- and it's working fine.  I am not going to force an update onto it until I have followed my own advice and done a full image backup -- because my experience in these Feature Upgrades is that they can fail for no reason, and when they do, you're left with a broken, nonfunctioning PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.