Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV7-4150
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi

The Windows 10 Update hangs after 87%, so I have to switch off the laptop and the System becomes always restored back to Windows 7.

Is there someone, that has upgraded the Pavilion DV7-4150 to Windows 10? How?

I have installed all HP Updates with the HP Support Assistant and all Windows 7 Updates that I can get. I have the newest BIOS F.29, but also the BIOS F.12, F.13 and F.23 don't work with Windows 10. 

I think, the problem is the old HP BIOS. Is there a compatible BIOS, to get the HP Pavilion DV7-4150 get worked with Windows 10? 

Please HP, this is no big job for you, please deliver us a new working BIOS for Windows 10!

Thanks, Always HP-Fan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Allways_HP_Fan

Sorry, but HP has shown no indications that it is developing BIOS updates for the older machines.  I have an HP DV6 and the last update was in 2011.

I ran into similar problems with my HP DV6 -- it would always stall partway through the update, and then I would have to do a factory reset to get it working again.

What DID work for me was doing a clean-install made from a USB  stick created using the latest Win10 version obtained using the MS Media Creation Tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

However, BEFORE doing that, be sure to read this thread about greating the genuineticket file, as you will need that to activate Win10 after the install: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Allways_HP_Fan

Sorry, but HP has shown no indications that it is developing BIOS updates for the older machines.  I have an HP DV6 and the last update was in 2011.

I ran into similar problems with my HP DV6 -- it would always stall partway through the update, and then I would have to do a factory reset to get it working again.

What DID work for me was doing a clean-install made from a USB  stick created using the latest Win10 version obtained using the MS Media Creation Tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

However, BEFORE doing that, be sure to read this thread about greating the genuineticket file, as you will need that to activate Win10 after the install: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood for your post.

I will try it in the next few days and post a feedback.

I hope, I will be successful...

HP Recommended

Great job Wawood!
Your recommendation works well! Windows 10 finally installed. Good tip! Now I can use the HP Pavilion DV7-4150 for another ten years ...
Other users: Please remember to back up your data. This Windows 10 Upgrade works only with a clean install (you must delete all data). But it's really worth it.
Cheers, Always_HP_Fan

HP Recommended

Always_HP_Fan

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I was genuinely surprised when it worked on my DV6 -- since that's such and old laptop, I figured nothing would work.

HP Recommended

The issue is caused by by Ralink WIFI card. Remove the WIFI card under upgrade, and install it again when upgrade is finisihed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.