Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ax208nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. My brand new OMEN 15-ax208nl notebook has got a very annoying bug: OS keeps freezing while doing simple Desktop operations... Dedicated GPU is continuously turned ON and OFF causing OS stuttering.

dGPU state changes like this:
OFF -> IDLE -> ON -> IDLE -> OFF

I've made a demo video: https://youtu.be/txQZWfWFhlc

Hardware:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
Intergrated GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 630
Dedicated GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (laptop)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400
OS drive: SSD 128 GB
Data drive: HDD 1 TB

Software:
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1607, build 14393.693
NVIDIA driver: 378.49
Intel HD driver: 21.20.16.4534

What I tried for solve the problem:
- clean installation of Windows 10
- clean installation of all drivers
- update BIOS
- set integrated GPU as default GPU in NVIDIA control panel

This problem is present on HP Pavilion 15-bc014nl too (i7-6700HQ [HD 530] and GTX 960M 4GB)...

Do You have any solution?

I suppose it's a Windows 10 problem so please upvote my feedback on Windows Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/Hgc5aa

PS: Sorry for bad english.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I confirm that on Preview Build 15042 the issue is almost gone. Atm I noticed only one thing that keeps triggering the dGPU: UAC (User Account Control). For example: if you try to open regedit.exe, there will be a window asking you "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Yes/No".
You can disable completely this message by searching "UAC" in Windows search and by moving the slider to bottom (Never notify).

The test was done on
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider Preview
OS Version: 10.0.15042 N/A Build 15042
NVIDIA driver: 378.49
Intel graphics driver: 21.20.16.4542
CPU: i7-7700HQ
iGPU: HD 630
dGPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

So, all we can do is wait for Creators Update which will come out in next months. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello, @ordinary_user – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for joining the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

Going through your post, I greatly appreciate the thorough description of the issue and for the troubleshooting steps that you have performed! I would just suggest one more step to install the drivers directly from the NVidia site. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Device manager – Uninstall the NVidia drivers.
  2. Check the box which says “Delete the driver software” to completely remove the software and complete the uninstall process.
  3. Now go to http://hp.care/2gYVgHF to automatically search and install the latest NVidia drivers for your card.
  4. Restart the PC couple of times and check.  

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sadly, after following your guide, the problem is still here.
I tried to install drivers from HP site too, no fix.

Could You contact Microsoft somehow and report this problem? I feel that my feedback on Feedback Hub won't be noticed at all... This is a big problem that ruins the user experience.  I have to disable NVIDIA card everytime I use the notebook for everything except games, and activate it when I want to play some game...

I repeat, this problem is present on notebook with i7-6700HQ (HD 530) and 960M too (HP Pavilion 15-bc014nl).

NB: OS works great when NVIDIA card is used by some process (games etc)..

HP Recommended

So, I have just talked to Microsoft Support (via chat and remote desktop). The support said that they will send this issue to NVIDIA (I really hope)... 

Could You (HP Support) contact Nvidia and Microsoft too?

WE (USERS) REALLY NEED A SOLUTION FOR THIS. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello, @ordinary_user

Thanks for the reply!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
So they will contact me?
HP Recommended

I have another brand laptop.  I have noticed this on all optimus laptops.  I don't if it doesnt others or there is a real fix. Did you ever gety yours fixed?

HP Recommended
Still no solution...
HP Recommended

same issue here. I think is the nvidia driver issue?
btw mine is dell 7567 i5 7300HQ with 1050TI

HP Recommended

Today I'm going to test (last atm) Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15042 to see if the issue has been fixed. As D_Steve595 said (on https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/16/), it seems that Microsoft has fixed the issue. I will reply here after the test. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.