Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All, I am researching upgrade from my current Window 10 Home os to Windows 10 Pro via Microsoft Store option. It is accessed via “Update and Security” setting,  redirects to the Microsoft Store, and seems to be a $99 straightforward upgrade that is licensed and validated via my Microsoft account. From what I have read it is an overlay process that doesn’t mess with files and settings of the current system, and I’m assuming that there would be no  product key etc. issues. Has anyone used this option. My machine is a  Spectre x360 13T,  i7 1065G7,  Win10 home, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, 1080 Display.

Has anyone else upgraded a similar product using the aforementioned method, and how was your experience?  Like I said it seems to be straightforward but I’d like to hear from others who have done it to understand the pros and cons. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bsnmate wrote:
.. and I’m assuming that there would be no  product key etc. issues. ...

@Bsnmate 

The upgrade is very quick, you only need to change product key (paid when upgrade) and everything will stay. When enter new product key, machine will write new product key (Windows 10 Pro) to BIOS and turn a flag saying your machine now runs Windows 10 Pro. Any Windows update(s) will work behind. Example:

change key.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Bsnmate wrote:
.. and I’m assuming that there would be no  product key etc. issues. ...

@Bsnmate 

The upgrade is very quick, you only need to change product key (paid when upgrade) and everything will stay. When enter new product key, machine will write new product key (Windows 10 Pro) to BIOS and turn a flag saying your machine now runs Windows 10 Pro. Any Windows update(s) will work behind. Example:

change key.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Banhien. Being that a new key is written to bios, would this invalidate my Acronis backup images and/or the HP factory recovery partition? That would be a deal breaker.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.