Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP compaq 6730s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an old (but working amazingly good!) 64bit processor HP Compaq 6730s, upgraded with a SSD drive and 8gb DDR2 ram memory. Currently it is dual-booting running windows 7 home premium, 64 bit edition, pretty smoothly -it has given no problems so far, and Ubuntu 14.04. I am pretty tempted to upgrade to windows 10, but given that it is a relatively old computer, I am not sure wether the hardware will be fully compatible with w10... and also I do not want to loose my partitions!

So what do you recommend me... shall I go for it?

Thank you very much for your help and for creating amazing computers like the 6730s!

Gonzalo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have the elitebook 6930p which has basically the same hardware as your model.

W10 works just fine on mine, but I do not have a webcam, nor do I use the fingerprint reader or protect tools security software, so I cannot confirm that those work on W10.

You should be able to recover to W7 very easily if you do not delete the windows.old folder.

To revert, go to settings>update and secuity>

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-restore-previous-windows-version-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have the elitebook 6930p which has basically the same hardware as your model.

W10 works just fine on mine, but I do not have a webcam, nor do I use the fingerprint reader or protect tools security software, so I cannot confirm that those work on W10.

You should be able to recover to W7 very easily if you do not delete the windows.old folder.

To revert, go to settings>update and secuity>

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-restore-previous-windows-version-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/

HP Recommended

This one has a webcam but no fingerprint detection... looks like it should work! THank you!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if W10 works on your model too.

HP Recommended

Well, I have the same laptop as you (even less ram than yours,btw-2GB) And its running pretty smoothly! even better than win7! so, i think you should UPGRADE, not clean install , because if you are not satisfied, you can roll back easily!

so, you should try it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.