Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G72 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot get past the signon screen; it tries then goes back to signon again. I did a hard reset(remove battery, hold power for 15 seconds, replug AC and turned on) but no different. I hit ESC at reboot, tried F11(recovery) and that failed. I tried hitting F8 at startup to get to safemode but that never showed the options.

Some of the errors I see after going into ESC menu:

Product id: XH002UA#ABA

Hard disk 1

Failure id: GU139X-5948B4-9XL03F-60SP03

Short DST: Failed

Also got -> Bad_system_config-info

I would think my harddrive is ok since I get the signon screen, can enter my password, and I see my photo.

Any ideas is much appreciated..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found my problem. It was a recent Microsoft update.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)

Installed on 12/13/16 was bad.

So I found and replaced with:

Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB3209498) which came available 12/20/16

Now my PC will go beyond the signon and load Windows 10.

Final question I have: I want to be able to choose my own time and updates to download like in olden days. Cannot I do that anymore? All the choices I see on the Settings Update & Security do not have that choice.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello kozaking,

The reason that you are unable to enter the initial screen after you have inserted the correct credentials is that there is a problem with loading the operating system of the laptop. It could be caused by either non operating hardware or software error.

Usually the combination of digits and letters mean that the hard drive has failed and needs replacement. My advice is, if the laptop is out of warranty, to take out the hard drive of the bay and to connect it to another PC as an external. You can do that by putting the HDD in an external case or through a SATA-USB cable. If the drive is spinning correctly and can be recognized on the other place, then the failure is with the motherboard itself.

Cheers.

Western Digital representative
HP Recommended

Somehow after multiple restarts and trying but failed to run a windows 10 emergency version from my USB I got my windows 10 to come up all the way. It was up for 2 days and all I did was close the lid and it went all blank and would not restart again past the signin logo screen.

This same issue(no restart upon closing the lid) recently happened to my 2nd laptop. There must be a common problem here. The last thing I downloaded was Panda virus software, but I removed it when I got this problem.

HP Recommended

I found my problem. It was a recent Microsoft update.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)

Installed on 12/13/16 was bad.

So I found and replaced with:

Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB3209498) which came available 12/20/16

Now my PC will go beyond the signon and load Windows 10.

Final question I have: I want to be able to choose my own time and updates to download like in olden days. Cannot I do that anymore? All the choices I see on the Settings Update & Security do not have that choice.

HP Recommended

kozaking

Sorry, but the simple answer is NO.  With Win10, MS removed the capability to select (or deny) individual updates.

There is a way to DEFER them, but it involves setting your Window Updates to "metered connection" -- and that automatically prevents them from downloading.

But, they will download and install eventually, there's just no way around that.

Welcome to Windows 10!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Too soon to acknowledge my problem fixed. Still cannot get past the logon . I even downloaded the windows.iso for windows 10 and tried every option, but no luck. I thought the Windows.iso from Microsoft would reinstall windows 10, but it does not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.