Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-al092no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Anyone have a status on when the Windows 10 update 20H2 is coming to HP Pavilion 14-al092no? Im yet to recive the update through Windows Update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MikaelKW 

You should have mentioned that -- because that is a completely different issue.

MS had a disaster with the 20.04 update, so much so that they blocked it completely for several months.  They did later release it, but some PCs are still blocked and won't see the update.  Those blocks are mostly due to hardware/driver issues -- but MS won't release the details or WHEN the blocks are going to be removed.

If Windows 10 v20.04 (or 20H1, depending on how you want to refer to it) is blocked on your PC, you can try to FORCE an update to the most current version of Windows 10 -- but that takes some work.

1) Use Macrium Reflect to create a backup on a large USB stick or external drive (see below)

2) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) insert that into your PC (do NOT boot from it), find the folder containing the media, select the setup.exe file, right-click that and select Run as Administrator.  This will start an in-place Upgrade which could then take a couple of hours to complete.

If you are presented with a window asking for a product key, down near the bottom is a entry you can click to skip that. Do NOT enter a product key, as it will reuse your existing key and when you finish and get back online, Windows will automatically activate.

--------------- Doing Image Backup ---------------
I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MikaelKW 

The fact of the matter is that the 20H2 update is actually nearly nothing.  The build numbers of 20H1 and 20H2 are the same -- because all 20H2 does is turn on a few very minor features.

If you go to the Win10 Community website and read the post about the enablement package, KB4562830, download and install that from Microsoft Update Catalog, your PC will be updated to 20H2 in a couple of minutes.

See here:  (9) KB4562830 Enablement Package Feature Update to Windows 10 version 20H2 Windows Update - Windows ...

HP Recommended

The fact of the matter is that i am still stuck on build 1909

HP Recommended

@MikaelKW 

You should have mentioned that -- because that is a completely different issue.

MS had a disaster with the 20.04 update, so much so that they blocked it completely for several months.  They did later release it, but some PCs are still blocked and won't see the update.  Those blocks are mostly due to hardware/driver issues -- but MS won't release the details or WHEN the blocks are going to be removed.

If Windows 10 v20.04 (or 20H1, depending on how you want to refer to it) is blocked on your PC, you can try to FORCE an update to the most current version of Windows 10 -- but that takes some work.

1) Use Macrium Reflect to create a backup on a large USB stick or external drive (see below)

2) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) insert that into your PC (do NOT boot from it), find the folder containing the media, select the setup.exe file, right-click that and select Run as Administrator.  This will start an in-place Upgrade which could then take a couple of hours to complete.

If you are presented with a window asking for a product key, down near the bottom is a entry you can click to skip that. Do NOT enter a product key, as it will reuse your existing key and when you finish and get back online, Windows will automatically activate.

--------------- Doing Image Backup ---------------
I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

HP Recommended

Oh... Didn't realise that i haven't put it in. Im not sure i want to force a update, if there is some hardware issues related to 20H1. Anyways, thanks for the information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.