Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DV6-1256TX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I purchased this HP Pavilion DV6 1256TX Laptop in the october month of 2009 and registered in HP Website as well.

Laptop is dead couple of years ago. I have saved the windows 7 product key sticker somewhere but i missed it now.

It would be helpful if somehow you can help me retrieve this key. 
I have the laptop Invoice with Serial number and product Number with me.
Will it be possible for HP to provide the windows 7 product key ?
I'm planning to use this to upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks in Advance !

Regards
Parsu 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Most likely that was an OEM key, meaning it can only be used once before becoming invalid to anymore activations. You also cannot transfer your Windows Product Key from one laptop onto another.

My Setup:
HP Notebook: HP 14-dk0028wm
Current Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@parsuwanath 

Sorry, but HP keeps no records of individual Windows product keys associated with individual PCs, so there is nothing we can provide you.

Also, you don't need to KNOW the key in order to upgrade to Win10 as the upgrade tool will automatically retrieve the key and reuse it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Most likely that was an OEM key, meaning it can only be used once before becoming invalid to anymore activations. You also cannot transfer your Windows Product Key from one laptop onto another.

My Setup:
HP Recommended

@JaredXP 

They said they are upgrading to Win10, which will reuse the key.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood but as they have stated, it is with another computer and not the one they had initially enter the key to.

My Setup:
HP Recommended

Hi @JaredXP @WAWood,
Thanks for all your responses. 
@JaredXP Yes that laptop is dead now. Thought i could use the genuine windows key in my desktop and upgrade it to windows 10.  Just came to know OEM license cannot be transferred to another computer. 
Well i might need to buy windows 10 again.

Thanks again for taking time and responding to my query.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.