Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-dw0083wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a question for the upgrade process for Windows operating systems. If I purchase a Windows Store upgrade for the operating system is it going to update my EUFI bios product key as well. I will most likely upgrade the hard disk and that will almost guarantee that I will have to start with another fresh(custom) install. I never done this before. As the EUFI process is all new to me as a customer.

I wanted to find out if I have to keep the purchases with Microsoft secure or if it will just apply to this laptop?

This also does not apply to the fact I upgraded my memory. I know that does not affect my product keys.

I just want to know how the reinstall from USB/USB Disk are going to be like for me in the future. And if I will have to change the product key for the activation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, they sell PC's with W10 Pro OEM and in those PC's a W10 Pro OEM key is encrypted in the BIOS.

I can't imagine how or why someone would lose a product key they paid for.

If you print out the key and safeguard it, you will have it, regardless if somehow you can't get access to your Microsoft account when you need to reinstall W10 Pro.

In any event, I have given you the best info I can regarding this matter.

You can't change the embedded Home key in the BIOS. 

If you purchase the upgrade from the Windows Store, it will be saved in your Microsoft account, and you can print out a copy of the key.

If you decide to buy a W10 Pro key from another retailer, save it someplace.  Save it in as many places as you see fit.

Happy New Year!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

I recommend you do your hard drive upgrade before upgrading Windows from Home to Pro.

Any upgrades, hardware or software, will not change the W10 Home Product key in the BIOS.

Anytime you have to reinstall W10, you will always end up with W10 Home because the W10 Home key trumps any other product key you have, and here are the only two ways you can upgrade back to Pro...

1.  Upgrade using your digital license for Windows 10 Pro

To upgrade, select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation .

Open Activation settings

• If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, you'll see one of two messages when you select Go to Microsoft Store:

• If you see Install, select the button to install Windows 10 Pro.

• If you see Buy, you may need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license. Or, try to sign in to Microsoft Store with the Microsoft account that was used to purchase the Pro license. Then, follow the instructions to install Windows 10.

2.  Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation .

2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.

3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I recommend that if you purchase a W10 Pro product key that you print it out and keep it secure, but Microsoft should have a record of it as well.

HP Recommended

That's the total problem.

I am not fully sure whether there is an option to update the eufi product key.

I just wanted to make sure.

I read the troubleshooting guides for activation on Microsoft websites. Most of them did mention the activation steps.

I still want to know how to manage the eufi product key. Like I said even if I upgrade the hard drive. There will be other times when I will have to do USB/USB Disk installation.

So the question is still the same. I have to always keep a copy of the Windows upgrade key. Is that what I understand?

HP Recommended

Well it's like a part 2 to the question.

Is there a service that will update my BIOS eufi key so that my OS digitally activated upon installation. For example if I buy the upgrade from HP.

HP Recommended

There is no option to change/update the Windows OEM product key in the BIOS.

Keep a hard copy record of your purchase/key offline.

I have Microsoft Office 2013, 2016 and 2019 keys purchased from Microsoft, and they are stored on my online Microsoft account.

However, I also printed them out and even wrote them on the Office installation disks I created.

Anytime you need to reinstall an upgraded version of Windows (Windows Pro) on your notebook, you will get W10 Home and will need to use one of the two methods I posted above to change from Home to Pro and to activate W10 Pro.

It makes no difference from where you buy the upgrade, HP, Amazon, eBay, Microsoft.  Doesn't matter.

The W10 Home product key will be forever encrypted in your notebook's BIOS.

HP Recommended

It's not a cosmic question if I may add. They supply OEM Pro computers. I just don't understand why I have to be stuck in a medium with Windows Activations through the store. What if I loose the key? Or loose the access to the account? At least the computer has this one Home version installed in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Yes, they sell PC's with W10 Pro OEM and in those PC's a W10 Pro OEM key is encrypted in the BIOS.

I can't imagine how or why someone would lose a product key they paid for.

If you print out the key and safeguard it, you will have it, regardless if somehow you can't get access to your Microsoft account when you need to reinstall W10 Pro.

In any event, I have given you the best info I can regarding this matter.

You can't change the embedded Home key in the BIOS. 

If you purchase the upgrade from the Windows Store, it will be saved in your Microsoft account, and you can print out a copy of the key.

If you decide to buy a W10 Pro key from another retailer, save it someplace.  Save it in as many places as you see fit.

Happy New Year!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.