Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ56
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Had this error message afetr succesfully downloading other optional updates ... so I undertook :

Click Start
Type: cmd
Right click on cmd in start menu and select 'Run as Administrator'
Type: net stop wuauserv
Hit Enter
Type: ren c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
Hit Enter
Type: net start wuauserv
Hit Enter
Type: exit
Hit Enter

Now that I have done this the software distribution folder has dissapeared as well as the old 

I have undertaken this again , and it says the service is running but I have no folders  as it hasnt created a new one to refer and the PC is not running  great 

How can I re-install this folder  please ? 

Kind regards 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @quovadis29, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues updating windows on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Are you using retail discs from Microsoft to upgrade the windows?

As you mentioned you when try updating windows you are getting error: windows update cannot currently check for updates on your PC.

Try the steps recommended below.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.
With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.
With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.
Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Some PCs may need a long time to download Windows 10, depending on the quality of the internet connection, the amount of data to move and the computer’s speed.  In some cases, it may take as long as 24 hours, so please be patient.  If your hard drive is still flashing, there’s a good chance it is still making progress.

From the WinX Menu, open Command Prompt (Admin). Type the following one after the other and hit Enter:

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits

Next browse to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete all the files and folders inside. Press Ctrl+A to Select All and then Delete.

If the files are in use, and you are unable to delete some files, restart your device. After rebooting, run the above commands again. Now you will be able to delete the files from the mentioned Software Distribution folder.

After you have emptied this folder, you may restart your computer or you may type the following commands one at a time in the CMD, and hit Enter to restart the Windows Update related Services.

net start wuauserv
net start bits

Run Windows Update again and see.

You will be able to download and install the updates successfully. Once done, you will see that a restart has also been scheduled.

If the issue persists try running system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware on your PC is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the issue still persists download and run windows troubleshooter from Microsoft website and check if it helps.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @quovadis29, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues updating windows on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Are you using retail discs from Microsoft to upgrade the windows?

As you mentioned you when try updating windows you are getting error: windows update cannot currently check for updates on your PC.

Try the steps recommended below.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.
With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.
With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.
Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Some PCs may need a long time to download Windows 10, depending on the quality of the internet connection, the amount of data to move and the computer’s speed.  In some cases, it may take as long as 24 hours, so please be patient.  If your hard drive is still flashing, there’s a good chance it is still making progress.

From the WinX Menu, open Command Prompt (Admin). Type the following one after the other and hit Enter:

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits

Next browse to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete all the files and folders inside. Press Ctrl+A to Select All and then Delete.

If the files are in use, and you are unable to delete some files, restart your device. After rebooting, run the above commands again. Now you will be able to delete the files from the mentioned Software Distribution folder.

After you have emptied this folder, you may restart your computer or you may type the following commands one at a time in the CMD, and hit Enter to restart the Windows Update related Services.

net start wuauserv
net start bits

Run Windows Update again and see.

You will be able to download and install the updates successfully. Once done, you will see that a restart has also been scheduled.

If the issue persists try running system diagnostics on your PC and check if the hardware on your PC is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the issue still persists download and run windows troubleshooter from Microsoft website and check if it helps.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the solution , however I did instigate a run of the net start sequence three times before reading your post , and the software did indeed rebuild the files the third time of trying ,..... but your suggestion would have resulted in resolving it anyway ... 

Now I am running win 7 home .... is it possible to upgrade to other window OS these days and is it worth it ? It is a 64 bit machine ... Is it possible to still keep the orginal partition as a reserve should I upgrade ? 

regards 

HP Recommended

@quovadis29, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

f you are unable to find your model name listed in any of the following sections of the document, HP has not tested the product for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and it might not be supported by HP for Windows 10.

Additionally, some features, applications, and connected devices might not work as expected after installation on an untested machine.

Systems listed below have been tested for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. If your device is not listed in the tables below, your system was not tested by HP for Windows 10 version 1709, and updated drivers might not be available.

Refer this article to know more information about HP Products Tested with Windows 10.

However, you can purchase a retail copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft directly or you can buy the retail discs from any of HP authorized service providers.

You can download the image and burn it to a disc and install windows 10 from Microsoft using this link.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.